Parents I bit my tongue

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

gwenmom

Proud Parent
Reaction score
I figured you all would be the only ones who appreciated this how hard it was to not say something snide to this person.

I ran into someone I haven't seen in awhile and she asked me how my kids were doing. We talked about the kids school and sports, etc and I, of course, being proud mom, mentioned Gwen's first meet. As we are talking about how it went and how much time we are spending at the gym and how expensive the sport but Gwen enjoys it and that she has no fear and that makes all the time and money worth.

And she responses by telling me if she has no fear, I should really get her in ice skating too. I was polite and said something along the lines of us having everything on our plate we could handle right now and that we weren't adding another sport at this time.

But what I had to bite my tongue and not say was more like, "do you think I am made of money and an infinite amount of time? did you not just listen to everything I said and now you are telling me to add another expensive time consuming sport."

I was really proud of myself for not making the snide remark and had to pat myself on the back for now letting the sarcasm flow.

thanks for listening

Honestly, I think it was an innocent comment that any of us might make about gymnastics. She might not even know how expensive serious ice skating is, maybe her kids have just done parks and rec classes or something. It was a positive comment about your child's talent.

Sorry forgot to mention her daughter was a competive figure skater and we have had converstations in the past. Maybe she just hit me at the wrong time with her comment and I overreacted.

the ones that irk the heck out of me are the comments about, "what, do you think your kids are going to the Olympics or something? I wouldn't let my kids spend that much time practicing a sport." or the ones that are people saying that they are "letting their kids be kids, they get to go outside and play". 1) all told, my kids don't spend that much time in practice - my 6 year old DD is in practice 5 hours per week, my 8 year old DD is in there 7.5 hours and my 8 year old DS is there 6 hours per week. And since they love being there, and it is where most of their friends are, it isn't like I'm having to force them to go to practice. KWIM?

If she's into competitive ice skating, maybe she was just trying to recruit your talented DD into 'her' sport. In a way it may have been a compliment.

If she's into competitive ice skating, maybe she was just trying to recruit your talented DD into 'her' sport. In a way it may have been a compliment.

Lol thanks Nicki. Not gonna happen. DD and I both hate being cold. No way you would get my butt in an ice arena for hours on end each week

LOL, instead we hang out in a hot, sweaty gym!

I don't try to explain anymore. I think that parent really had no clue the committment of gymnastics plus figure skating would be. I just smile and nod and tell them that's a good idea- lol

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back