Parents I drive a lot!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
I certainly feel for all you moms that have a long distance to drive!

I was thinking the same thing! My drive is not long, at ALL - with traffic it can be 20-25 minutes, but it's usually more like 15. The miles add up, sure, but compared to what some of you guys are doing? Cakewalk.

Someone brought up a good point, though, regarding carpooling. I'm hoping to find someone that we can carpool with, at least for the pick up - I just received the boys' football practice schedules and we have a conflict on Thursdays. Thanks for the reminder to check on that!!

I feel lucky that I live so close to our gym, but it sure adds up when we make multiple trips there (especially since I have started working there too!) The gym is about 5 minutes away and on a normal week I make 7 or 8 trips back and forth. And that is only because I only schedule the boys classes at the same time as my daughter's. As they progress, I'm sure I'll be adding more trips.

Jealous!!!!!!!!
Sorry didn't mean to rub it in:o. But the close distance is one of the reasons we have stayed at this gym for so long. Even when things have gotten not so pleasant at times & thoughts of switching entered our minds. The pull to leave was never as strong as the pull to stay so close to home & work through whatever the issue was. I do wish I could help out the mom's that live further away from the gym. I have brought other gymnasts back to my house at times to help out the high traveling moms best as I can. Especially during summer hours when some parents have to be at work during gym commuting times. I do feel for you all!

Last edited:
This is our nearest gym, the next nearest is a two hour round trip on a good day!

Ah now there is a whole other thread. Things that we do whilst waiting for our kids to do gym. I long sinced realised that it was cheaper to drive home then stay!! The only exception being when I excercise. But the shopping and eating got crazy! How many storage containers do I need from Wal Mart?????

That is soooo me. The one day I watch I get bored and go to Matalan and buy storage boxes for dd to take fruit to school in! But dd loses them all the time so more is. better!

This week I cleaned out the inside of my car and wiped all the dash down with babywipes. Next week I am taking a bucket (oh yes I am) and a sponge and Im going to wash my car. I have the concentration of a gnat and if I sit too long I seize up!:D

I wonder where all lost lunch storage containers go, I am a fan of the "litterless lunch" concept, but when they lose the conatiners as ofetn as using prefilled store bought portions, I wonder if the benefit to the environment is lost!!!

I too have cleaned my car with babywipes, howsad does that make us!

We have no viewing area at gym, so that isn't even on the list of things I could do!

My DD's Gym is 25 miles each way. She goes 5 days a week. I was driving her myself last year but this summer she is in a carpool. The girl who drives them back and forth is a senior in High school and I pay her a weekly fee. It has been great.

My oldest son plays travel baseball and he trains 30 miles away, so again I am running up and down the road. Aaaah!!

My other son (Morgan's twin) plays travel soccer and he trains right around the corner from the Gym. He is at practice 3 days a week but we are in a carpool for that.

Half the time I don't know whether I am coming or going. LOL

Tracy -
Without my calendar (color coded, at that - yes, I'm *that* mom!) I would have no idea where I had to be when!!!

Tracy -
Without my calendar (color coded, at that - yes, I'm *that* mom!) I would have no idea where I had to be when!!!

It's nuts. My son plays on two different baseball teams and a few weeks ago I sent him to a tournament with the wrong team uniform. LOL!!

Dd's gym is 80 miles round trip and I make it 3 times a week. More often if there are other activies with the team either in the gym or elsewhere. This is camp week so I have to make that trip twice a day. We aren't allowed to stay and watch so during regular practice I just sit in the car and read. It's not bad except on those very hot or very cold days. I wish I could carpool but no other team members live anywhere near us. This fall I'll add dance classes to the mix and while it is closer, it's a 37 mile round trip drive.

I feel your pain. Flipper goes to the gym 5x a week. Each trip is approx. 100 miles. During spring and fall baseball seasons, our son also commutes for a club team - that trip is about 90 miles round trip. I work 40 miles from home, so add that in, too. My car just turned over 280,000 miles. My husbands car has 250,000 and the 3rd vehicle is approaching 200,000. We plan on driving them until they drop because we put 60,000 - 80,000 on per year. I fondly remember the days of cheap fuel! Of course, all this driving snuck up on us, but we are looking forward to the day when we can sit at home evenings!

BWe are only 15-20 minutes away and it becomes tiresome. I can not imagine traveling any further.. Fortunately we are IMHO at best gym in are area there are 3 others and the YMCA. I am happy with my daughters most of the time there are little things like lack of communocation that bothers me but I could not see myself traveling any further if you add up the hours spent in the car weekly it is a little crazy. We do travel far to meets and I bought a car better on fuel economy because of this. Plus I am almost past my allowed miage for my car lease.

That's a lot of driving. I feel your pain :) My dd just got her license this year! My car is 3 years old and has 80,000 miles on it.:eek: I was constantly in the car getting her to gym then running back for my son who was on his own sports teams and had games all over the place then back to the gym to pick up dd. Everyone kept asking me was I really going to let her drive??:confused:? my answer was always you bet!!! :)

That's a lot of driving. I feel your pain :) My dd just got her license this year! My car is 3 years old and has 80,000 miles on it.:eek: I was constantly in the car getting her to gym then running back for my son who was on his own sports teams and had games all over the place then back to the gym to pick up dd. Everyone kept asking me was I really going to let her drive??:confused:? my answer was always you bet!!! :)

oh how funny! lol! reminds me of when I was almost 16...my dad had this brilliant idea that I would get my private pilot's license before my driver's license and my mom had a fit! she said, "she get's her driver's license ASAP because I am tired of driving her to all of her activities!!

We only have a 30 minute gym commute...unfortunately, my kids are on totally opposite days, so we make the drive 6 days a week!!

I have to drive an hour round trip 5 days a week. It's not the driving I find hard, it is the 3 hr wait as there is no parents room, and you are not allowed to watch. So I have to live at the shops or my car very boring.

Our drive is about 20 - 25 minutes each way 3 days a week but thankfully for summer hours since she goes in the morning on two days my mom and my husbands mom commutes her those days and I just take her the one night that she goes. But starting in fall I will be taking her all 3 days and I always sit and watch because If i leave and go shopping I spend way too much. But pretty soon I am going to not be sitting there the whole time cause it gets boring sometimes.

This was our first (and LAST!!!) summer as a three sport family (gymnastics, swim, and soccer) between two kids. Thank goodness Pickle's gym is only 20 minutes away and we have a great car pool set up.

We are so lucky to have a very sweet little library with free Wi-Fi just two blocks from Pickle's gym. It is the perfect place to go and get work done while she is working out.

We are so lucky to have a very sweet little library with free Wi-Fi just two blocks from Pickle's gym. It is the perfect place to go and get work done while she is working out.

Ahh - Library!!! I didn't even think of that. There is a library about 3 minutes from Gym. That might be our new go to spot during gross weather!! Thanks for the reminder.

There is a library right across the street from my dd's gym. It's such a haven- the other kids can do hw or look for books if I have to bring them along.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back