Parents I found this interesting

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

that seems a bit harsh

I don't think so. I think Sally was just pointing out the age of her child as it seemed that Nog was thinking the child in the article was Sally's (or that Sally was identifying her child as such).

I don't think so. I think Sally was just pointing out the age of her child as it seemed that Nog was thinking the child in the article was Sally's (or that Sally was identifying her child as such).

Not the way it seemed to me at all. I did not think the article was about Sally's DD nor did I think NOG meant Sally's DD was 8. Just seemed to me Sally jumped on NOG for no reason. Maybe I took Sally's comment the wrong way, but the way it read to me came across as rude.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

I never thought that the child in the article was Sally's dd. I have no idea (nor does it matter) who Sally or her dd are or how old her dd is. I was only mentioning an age - as THAT was the age mentioned in the article that Sally posted. I was not asking her dd's age - I was asking hypothetical questions. Don't really care how old her dd is. I wondered why Sally was jumping on that as well?

I actually laughed out loud when I read, "Coaches keep interrupting her fun by yelling at her for no reason she really understands." I think that is how my daughter feels.

I am pretty sure with her current goofy personality though, she isn't going to be driven no matter what. I mean I am certain when I speak she doesn't actually hear words, she hears the voice of Charlie Brown's teacher so I am doubting I would get very far to begin with. I do think though that someday she might mature (they all eventually grow up right?) and decided for HERSELF to be driven and pay attention consistently, but it's going to have to be an internal change.

So while I found the article interesting AND entertaining, I don't agree with the conclusion.

I actually laughed out loud when I read, "Coaches keep interrupting her fun by yelling at her for no reason she really understands." I think that is how my daughter feels.

Same here! Bella was in a time out while I was reading the article and I hurt her feelings because she assumed I was laughing at her for being in time out.

It was never meant to be rude. I was stating after reading NOG's comment "Is your dd an 8 yr old that has no idea what she can become? or is your 8 yr old one who knows and either wants elite or has decided that it's not for her". I took this comment as she is talking about my dd. So I was just commenting that no she is not 8 she is 7 and it was at the end as I forgot about putting it in so I had to edit it in.

I put this on thinking that people might actually enjoy reading an article didn't want to cause an up stir.
I never thought that the child in the article was Sally's dd. I have no idea (nor does it matter) who Sally or her dd are or how old her dd is. I was only mentioning an age - as THAT was the age mentioned in the article that Sally posted. I was not asking her dd's age - I was asking hypothetical questions. Don't really care how old her dd is. I wondered why Sally was jumping on that as well?

wow, I never thought about the things that the answer talked about. Thanks to You Tube my dd's (7 and 10) have seen tons of great gymnastics. We watch gymnastics on tv every chance we get. They have met Olympians, they have seen elites perform,etc. My oldest is very driven and has saught a lot of that stuff out on her own. She has known where she wanted to go with gymnastics for at least 2 years now (compete at the college level, then coach). She is working hard to get there.

I don't know that you can make a kid more driven. You can expose them to things and talk about it and show them - but really in the end it will have to come from them. All of those things will help them figure out where they want to go and what they want to do. They could take any path in gymnastics or none at all after figuring it all out. You never know - every child is different and for an 8 year old (any 8 year old) it is hard to know exactly what they want out of life and whether it will last or not.

I for one am anxious just to find out if my dd's dreams come true or if they change. I love watching my kids grow up and figure out who they are and what they want out of life. It is fascinating to me. I don't want to speed up their childhood, but I can't wait to see what happens over the years.

I liked this article in general. Although I think it's a little unrealistic when it makes so many assumptions about an 8 year old. The way it's describing an 8 year old honestly seems more like a 5 year old in my opinion.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back