I tried out new Gym Hair over the weekend

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

It took FOREVER, but because I can't braid to save my life, and DD's hair is SO thin and slides out of everything anyway, I figured I'd give it a go.

She slept on it last night and it held perfectly!

hair.jpg

PS - I curled that pony within an inch of it's life :eek: and that's about 20 minutes later. Another 20 minutes, and the curl was gone - oh well.

ETA: here's the tutorial that I followed: http://www.girlydohairstyles.com/2008/08/got-time.html

Last edited:
I love this hairstyle and have used it with both of my dd (one with very thick, coarse hair and the other with very, very fine fly-away hair). To keep curls in the ponytail we have to soak the hair in hairspray (well, maybe not soak but I spray it pretty well) and roll it up in curlers and sleep on it overnight. The next morning I hairspray the whole thing again and turn my dryer on cool setting to "set it" - rollers still in hair. We don't remove the curlers until we are at the meet. It stays in pretty well. However, if I try to just curl it that day - it falls out very fast.

We do the same thing as gymutti- I spray each section of hair before I roll it, then spray the whole thing after all the rollers are in. We also spray it again before taking out the rollers and then a little blast when they are out. A bun cover for overnight helps with the frizzies.

We call it "Shellacking the Sh**" out of it :p

Love this style and it's what we use on our DDs hair. She has super fine hair that slips and slides too. Like the other ladies said we leave the hair in curlers over night. I have these really small (blue) soft foam curlers (think big fat pink ones grandma used to wear). And with DD I will wet her pony tail..and then take small pieces and put gel on it then wrap it around the curler. Leave it in over night. When she gets up meet morning, I will hair spray it with Aussie Instant Freeze. Also taming any little flyaways that worked free out of the spiderweb down with a soft toothbrush. The when we get to the meet (out in the parking lot) I will "shellac" the you know what out of it. let it dry well on the way in. When we are sitting waiting on open stretch I will take the curlers out. Maybe finger comb it if it looks nutty. But mostly just let it be. By the end of the meet, most the curl is gone. But it sure looks pretty when she first steps down into the arena...lol
I always say...shellac and glitter..it's what little gymnast hair is made of...lol

Beautiful! I love the colors. We used to do dds hair this way but it too long because we also do several braids in her pony and tuck it under. So now we usually do just one or two rows like yours - just enough to keep the loose ends together. I have never tried curling. Dds hair is too long.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Very pretty!!! How long did it take you to do? Oh, and try curlformers on the pony...they work wonders!!!

Very pretty!!! How long did it take you to do? Oh, and try curlformers on the pony...they work wonders!!!

Probably a little over an hour. I put on a movie, and fed her lots of snacks (notice the icing-covered animal crackers in the picture, lol. I only bust those out when I REALLY need them).

I started right out of the shower, so it was pretty damp, added gel, and then started sectioning. I think the gel helped hold the flyaways down once it dried. We're on day 3 now I guess, and she had a full day of playing outside with a sun hat on (Saturday), school (more hat at recess and after school) and 1.5 gym practice (yesterday), and I'll probably take them out tonight. It's stayed really well! She even told me "I was really careful when I took my hat off, I didn't want to mess up my hair" :p

And thanks for all the tips on curling. I *seriously* doubt she'll tolerate curlers through the night. Maybe once she's older, she's actually care.

It looks great!!

I've done my DD's hair like that but with a bun. it does take a long time when you are first doing it but the more you do it the shorter time it takes. If you spray her hair with cheap super hold hairspray, comb it through then do the hairstyle it will hold better as it is now a bit sticky and will give the hair traction to itself to hold.

For the elastics we used the team colors so it would match the leo. We would get the elastics at one of the beauty supply stores.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back