Parents I'm a flasher--can I bring my knitting?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

NMNorskie

Proud Parent
I'm volunteering for a boys' meet at my daughter's gym this weekend. I've only ever been to two meets (my daughter is new to gym and so am I). My job is to be a flasher--the one who holds up the score counter thingie (not sure if it's called that everywhere or just at our gym).

At the other two meets I've been to, these "flashers" mostly looked at their phones during downtime. Is it weird if I bring knitting instead? I don't know the etiquette, but I do know that I have a bunch of knitting to finish before Christmas. I'm doing a four hour shift, so I assume there will be a fair amount of downtime.

I would say yes, especially if it is modified capital cup format. YOu can knit while tehy are warming up, etc. Just be prepared to stop at any time, if the judge starts the rotation. Boys' meets are pretty laid back, so I bet the judge would be willing to give you "fair warning" when he is getting ready to start teh event.

I would.....I'm a knitter, so I hear you about finishing those handmade gifts. I don't think the judge(s) will mind, just make sure it's a project you can easily set aside for your official duties, you could even tell the judge that you're fine to put it down when duty calls. Every year I swear I won't be last minute......but it's all lies! I also set a reading goal on goodreads.com that I'm determined to make-these two things are not complimentary in any way!

You can do whatever you want, you're over 21.

But make sure everyone can see the score and don't get behind on the scores, that will get ugly fast.

Well, I didn't end up bringing my knitting, because I couldn't get this hat to the point where it would have been mindless (there are some new techniques in between where I am and the crown of the hat where things get easier). I'm glad I didn't, though, because there was so much to see that I wasn't bored anyway. I'd never been to a boys' meet. This was levels 4/5, and those little boys were adorable. One of them yelled "THANK YOU" to me when he saw his score. :D

Well, I didn't end up bringing my knitting, because I couldn't get this hat to the point where it would have been mindless (there are some new techniques in between where I am and the crown of the hat where things get easier). I'm glad I didn't, though, because there was so much to see that I wasn't bored anyway. I'd never been to a boys' meet. This was levels 4/5, and those little boys were adorable. One of them yelled "THANK YOU" to me when he saw his score. :D

Boys' meets are so different that girls' meets aren't they? And I love the little ones!!! How adorable :)

I'm usually a "timer", but one time I was a flasher, I loved it so much! The look on their faces when you show them the score and the score is good is just priceless!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back