Intro - Totally New to Adult Gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

B

BigGym

Hi there! I started doing gymnastics about a year ago.....at the age of 31. Yes, that's right - 31. I never did gymnastics as a kid, but became intrigued by the sport after someone told me about adult classes offered in our area. I LOVE IT! I've always enjoyed being active, but have never really considered myself athletically inclined.

In the 1+ year that I've been taking the class, I've learned a whole bunch of skills. Prior to taking the class, I didn't even know how to do a cartwheel, but I can now do a roundoff back handpring on the tumble track, as well as many other things! I've been a distance runner and cyclist for years, but NOTHING compares to doing gymnastics in terms of getting fit. It's also a whole lot of fun.

Nice to see that there are some other crazy adults out there. My only question is why don't more adults do this sport? And how many adult gymnasts are on this site who started gymnastics for the first time as an adult?

Welcome to the CB and congrats on discovering gymnastics!! I did gymnastics as an adult a few years ago for about 2 years. I agree that it was so much fun and I got into great shape!! But, my dd moved to another gym so when we moved gyms the new gym didn't offer adult classes and I felt weird about continuing my classes at the old gym where my dd was no longer at.

I have now started fitness classes (Zumba, Nia and hopefully Kettle Ball when I get a bit stronger) at my ds' martial arts gym.

But, like you said, there is something about gymnastics--it is soooo much fun!!!! Maybe I will get back into it one day...

I did some recreational gymnastics as a kid, but didn't get much past handstands and cartwheels. I took up gymnastics again last year at age 43. It is difficult because adult classes are unstructured, so I'm mostly on my own trying to figure it out by myself, which is very difficult as I don't really know what I'm doing! I'm still doing basically handstands and cartwheels, wish I could do RO-BHS (very jealous!). I find it disappointing that gymnastics seems to be seen as only a kids' sport, the few adults who do it are usually ex-competitive and already know what they're doing. I think it would be great if more adults would take it up! I'm trying to get my gym to start up a more structured adults class, but I don't know if I'll be successful there. Great to see another adult gymnast here!

You are so cool!! :)
I've toyed with the idea of asking our gym to let me have a go, but I've basically concluded there'd have to be a bunch of other adults or I'll feel too silly.
... Funny to say a couple of worries expressed here (about NOT having much of a gym background) reinforces my fear that people would expect me to be able to do stuff I'm sure I'll never do again, with or without coaching support.

it tends to be hard on the body.

Lots of sports are hard on the body but adults still do them - here in New Zealand rugby is very popular and that is very hard on the body! Martial arts are quite hard on the body but adults do those as well.

Also I don't think it should matter what level you are at, whether you are learning a forward roll or a handspring or advanced tumbling. That's the exciting thing about gymnastics, there are exciting and challenging skills to learn at every level.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back