Parents Is it too late to dream about College?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

In your diving daughter's experience, is the culture of competitive diving as toxic as that of gymnastics?

The experience between the 2 sports has been night and day...so no, the culture hasn't been toxic at all for us with diving....now she's not diving for Stanford or Cal or the top of the diving heap, but it actually has been a delight to be part of. Diving does seem to be a separate subset from the swimmers that I hear can be more intense but as she's not a swimmer, not my concern:). Thanks for asking!

it's not a gymnastics specific requirement to be released - all NCAA sports.... i do agree with your point that NCAA sports in general is a form of indentured servitude, especially when you consider football players who generate a significant amount of income for their athletic departments. however, not everyone had an abusive college coach nor felt like they were being exploited.

I do regard NCAA sports as indentured servitude. Four years is a long time to be at the whims and mercy of a single master. Perhaps you were offended by my flippant criticism of gymnastics culture. I should have shared that I am not impressed with my DD's gym club, which has a similar (albeit far milder) culture of regarding gymnasts as disposable commodities that was described in the thread txgymfan referenced. I realize not all club gyms or college gyms have that same culture. But from my own observation, and coming from reading the pinned thread mentioned, it sure sounds like too many do. So, like txgymfan, I'd urge you to share some positive stories about gymnastics when you have the time or inclination.

The experience between the 2 sports has been night and day...so no, the culture hasn't been toxic at all for us with diving....now she's not diving for Stanford or Cal or the top of the diving heap, but it actually has been a delight to be part of. Diving does seem to be a separate subset from the swimmers that I hear can be more intense but as she's not a swimmer, not my concern:). Thanks for asking!

I'm trying to get my DD to switch to diving rather than gym. She's agreed to do a diving class this summer, but she sullenly told me, "I'll do it for the summer session, but you should know: I LIKE GYMNASTICS BETTER!" :rolleyes: I might be PM'ing you for your insights on diving, bookworm, as the months go on. I hope you don't mind!

really, really? you think every single gymnast has the singular toxic experience? I know many from our DD's gym who have competed at various DI schools who loved the experience. Of course, there are those who had bad experiences as well.

It's like gymnastics as a whole. Some quit and remember fondly their time spent at the gym while others quit and remember how bad it was.

To reiterate though, my daughter who competed D1 did love it and does have fond memories of her time in the gym but as she says "HC coach in NCAA was the only negative about her gymnastics experience"......but she's now done and has moved on to grad school and feels her experience as a D1 athlete definitely helped her secure the position she is in and helps her with the day to day stuff as well....it's nice to see the light at the end of the tunnel, so to speak.

I've also heard that gymnasts can often get diving scholarships. I even read about one who ended up doing college pole vaulting. There are other options. DD is a T&T'er now and colleges don't have T&T teams, though I have no clue why - it can be amazing to watch. That said - she's offhandedly said if T&T doesn't end up a college sport by the time she's ready she may want to try cheer.

Yes, our college recruitment advisor told us that Acro-Tumbling is getting bigger by the day with DivI schools and they are offering full rides for their teams just like artistic girls. She said you only have to be a level 8 to be eligible for those teams. I have no clue what Acro-Tumbling is all about, but hey, it's worth looking at.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back