Parents Is it too late?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

Barsl

Proud Parent
Reaction score
My Daughter is 14, level 8.
She has had many set backs, unfortunately.
Is it too late for her to dream big?
Say, college gymnastics or maybe more?
If not, what pace would she have to pick up in order to be on a more successful road?
TIA

My sense is that it would be a long shot but there are others who know far more than I. That said, at our gym, one family that had college aspirations at about the same age and level went to the HC and told her. The gym then decided to fast track her - bumping her up to the next training group, accelerating conditioning and skills. I have NO idea if she will make it, but her work ethic is amazing and her skill acquisition is impressive.

It is a long shot for even a 14 year old level 10. No one knows what the future will bring (injury, fear, etc). A very small percentage of Level 10's get Div 1 College scholarships, and even smaller percentages for beyond (Elite, Olympics, whatever you consider beyond). Is it too late for her to dream big? In my opinion - NO! Let her dream, and work hard. There is still time to improve, get to higher levels. The pursuit of a dream is a success in and of itself - so many lessons to be learned. A supportive coach and gym can do a lot - make sure she communicates her dreams to her coaches as well! Good Luck!

Although I would have to say based on what I've seen the elite ship has probably sailed, but I don't think it's too late for college if she is a successful L9 next year and L10 the following. It really depends on her trajectory and skill acquisition so far, which might give you an indication of where she'll end up in another year or two. My dd started late and moved quickly. And know a few girls that got to level 10 their junior/senior year, had very good seasons, and ultimately walked on on to D1 teams. What year does she graduate? It's my opinion that the fastest way to ensure that she won't get "there", wherever there may be, is to stop dreaming big.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

THE BEST OF ALL TIME

Back