Parents Is this normal?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

AlexsGymmyMom

Proud Parent
Reaction score
At my DD's gym there has been an influx of girls coming over from another gym in the area. I think it is great as our gym is growing! A coach also came over from that gym. My DD and myself had come to the gym for a booster club meeting one evening (not a team practice night) and there was this coach from the other gym and most of the girls that came over from that gym with her practicing. It was like a regular 3 hour practice...not a private lesson. Anyway, my DD was curious if she could join this group and when she asked the coach she was told it was ONLY for the girls that came over from the other gym with her. Is it a normal practice for a coach to do this type of thing for just a certain group of girls? To me it seems a little bit unfair to the other girls that do not get this advantage of this additional practice...just because they were already at the gym.

How does training work at your gym? Is your daughter in the same group as the new girls? Like iif typically they train together, then maybe the coach could have let her practice.
Did these girls pay for the extra lesson? That could also be a factor.
Also, maybe when they switched gyms, the girls missed training days in the transition time and this was a make up class for missed hours..hopefully approved by your gym's head coach or person in charge.

It doesn't seem right to me. Has anyone asked the owner why this is going on?

I have the same question, is your DD in that training group. Because I know at our gym each coach has her own groups and they may schedule and cancel classes if they need to. THis can mean groups are working out when it is not their regular time.

However if it is your DD's group and these kids are getting more training time, then I would ask when they would be scheduling the extra classes for the girls who have been exccluded.

Oh my goodness, this sounds like a story I may know. Reputable gyms I don't think would allow coaches to come in with girls from a previous gym. However some gyms may be in it for the almighty dollar. I have been told through my DD'd coaches that gyms in our area do contact each other when they notice a gymnast coming from another gym. The new gym calls the old gym to tell them. They said they do this because they attempt to work together as a region. Coaches leaving with a band of girls would definitely send up a red flag. That call would definitely be made. Thus far our region has been pretty successfull at Nationals.
I would be leary of coaches who exclude any child from a class/practice. I am grateful DD's coaches take personal interest in each of their gymnasts and are in it for the love of the sport as well. It sounds like these other coaches coming from a previous gym have alterior motives. None of which I would want my child privy to. I would steer clear. An extra practice at the expense of the childrens, those involved and those excluded, psyches. No thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same question, is your DD in that training group. Because I know at our gym each coach has her own groups and they may schedule and cancel classes if they need to. THis can mean groups are working out when it is not their regular time.

However if it is your DD's group and these kids are getting more training time, then I would ask when they would be scheduling the extra classes for the girls who have been exccluded.

Yes most of the girls are level 5 just like my DD with a couple of exceptions as they are level 7's. I do not know if they are paying extra but even still she was told she could not join the group as she did not come over from the previous gym.

I guess all you can do is ask if all the L5 girls train the same numner of hours, saying you had seen some training at odd times. Then you can ask that your child is able to train the same numeber of hours as the girls she will have to compete against/with.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back