WAG Is this normal?

• Thread starter Thread starter Ex member
  • Start date Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
E

Ex member

My oldest dd is currently practicing a Floor and Vault floor routine and also a NDP grade floor routine at the same time, the Floor and Vault Routine is one where dd can choose the moves and the NDP grade floor routine is a set one, is it normal to train both routines in the same practice session? The Floor and Vault comoetition is in February and the NDP grading is in April.

I'm guessing you're from Australia? In my experience it's fairly normal. How old is your daughter? Children on the older end/higher levels can usually remember all the routines if that's what you were worried about. Your coaches are probably starting your dd on the NDP routine now so she's very familiar with it and nails it in April.

I am from the UK, my dd has just turned 10 and has been is gymnastics since last August. My dd has never done any NDP grades before, she sometimes gets a little muddled over what Rountine is for what thing, but I guess she will soon sort it out as the weeks go by.

I don't know if its common, but it sounds sensible enough to me.

She needs to be working on the f and v routine if it's next month, but the NDP grade is probably the more important of the two, so introducing that now, rather than after February seems a good idea. I would guess that nearer the time of the f and v they would focus more on that one until it's over.

Might it also be that they haven't 100% made up their minds if she is doing one or other or both, so are seeing which she handles best?

Either way they are preparing her in advance and that's a good thing. Good luck to her.

Might it also be that they haven't 100% made up their minds if she is doing one or other or both, so are seeing which she handles best?

She is definitly doing both, she was working on her beam element, polishing off the Rountine, she is working with a coach who is new to the gym and seems more of an Artistic Coach, that is certainly helping my dd improve her Artistic side of her Routine.

My DD has a Floor and Vault comp coming up the weekend after her grade 13. They are both in March. So far they have only been working on elements, rather than actual routines for the floor. I suppose she does have a routine from last year that she could pull out for the floor and vault so the focus is definitely on the grades work. But then we often don't get routines finalised long before a competition. Until this post though I hadn't actually registered hat they were only a week apart. For grade 13 they 'only' do a flatback still whereas the week alter she will be competing her handspring. I just hope that the extra focus on precision that the grades seem to be bringing means that her hurdle etc will be improved enough to help the handspring.

And of course the only competition that she cares about isn't until May when she hopes to pass level 5...

This is very normal in our gym, the girls seem to get the hang of it quite quickly and remember which routine is which! I'm sure soon enough it will come easily to your DD as she gets used to it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back