Votes: 20 58.8%
  • No

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • Air conditioning? Never heard of it.

Votes: 2 5.9%

• Total voters

Becauseisaid

Proud Parent
My daughter had her first meet of the season this weekend - a Judge's Cup - at a local gym. The gym was a small metal building with no A/C. In Tennessee. And the day's high was supposed to be 90. The owner stated (with impressive pomp) that HER gymnasts did just FINE without air. Now, this is the South where 100+ degree days in the summer are the norm and not the exception. I cannot imagine asking kids to do the sort of strenuous workouts needed in a non air conditioned gym. Maybe I'm a pansy. You decide.

Our old gym was not air conditioned. This is in the Northeast, where there are several days over 90 degrees, but not many over 100. Practice would get cancelled 1-3 times over the summer because the gym was just too hot. Our current gym is air conditioned and is quite pleasant in the summer!

We have no a/c but we have a swamp cooler. It works maybe 50% of the time. TH kids drink a lot of gatorade/water out there. We have never been cancelled for heat...almost cancelled for wildfire smoke but they decided to run lower key workouts as long as they could.

No ac at our gym in Ohio... but the gym is inside of an old high school building - the rest of the building has ac, so if they get too hot, they can step outside the gym doors and cool down.
I know heat and lack of ac is one reason that many gyms change up practice times in the summer... early morning or evening instead of mid-day.

Our gym doesn't have air conditioning, and when temps hit 95+ the gym closes in the afternoon. The morning session then gets their workout however, the afternoon session does not, with no opportunity to make up the missed time.

Wow Luvmygymdtr. If I were a parent paying for those cancelled sessions, I would be FURIOUS that they weren't rescheduled.

our practices that were cancelled due to heat, and those cancelled due to snow in the winter, were never made up either.

our practices that were cancelled due to heat, and those cancelled due to snow in the winter, were never made up either.

Can't imagine it. Of course, I'm also not thinking about just a couple-three practices. If our gym cancelled every time it went above 95 degrees, the gymnasts would miss (cumulatively) more than a month's worth of practices.

Now closing for snow....around here they close everything just on the PROMISE of a possible hint of snow. And it still may only be 1 time a year. Ain't optimism cute? :p

We're in Texas, so it has to be air conditioned here. I can't imagine any gym in the south not being air conditioned. That's crazy about the non-air conditioned gym in Tennessee!

That sounds like a very uncomfortable meet, Becauseisaid.

Our gym is not air conditioned (Northeast) but sits deeply within a brick building that is ordinarily quite cold.

Ours is, but the owner won't turn it on unless its like over 80? Or maybe 85? We are in the northeast. There are big rolling garage type doors they usually have open for ventilation.

Our gym is not, and we are in Texas. Workouts in the summer are in the mornings, and it is a big warehouse style building and the bays type doors (think loading dock style) are opened up and there are several very large fans helping with air circulation. Kiddos keep a water jug with them as they rotate throughout the gym and to be honest, it is not a problem at all. We switched to this gym from an air conditioned gym and I was worried, but my daughter has not complained once.

TX, and we have air conditioning. In fact, if you sit in some places it is cold and you need a sweater (even during the summer).

We have a/c (Northeast) which is on most of the summer. In spring and fall they are more likely to just open the doors for ventilation.

Snow days are not made up, and we've never been cancelled for heat (we had maybe one week in the 90's, and a few scattered other days, the whole summer). But it takes a LOT of snow for them to cancel.

In NE and no air conditioning. Our gym has those large garage door type openings and large fans. Unfortunately this week is close to 100 degrees all week and night practices (14 hours). :( Makes for one sweaty place

Our gym is in an old warehouse with no A/C. We are in a hot, humid climate. Team practices in the morning over the summer, but preteam is in the afternoon. They keep the cargo doors open (which lets in hordes of mosquitoes!) and run a lot of fans, but by mid-morning the gym is still an oven. The policy is supposedly that practice will be cancelled if the heat index is over 100 degrees, with no make-ups. This summer has been cooler than average, and my daughter missed a few weeks of practice due to camp and vacation, so we got off pretty easy. We will just have to see how it goes next summer.

We are in the South and DD's gym is air conditioned to a certain extent. But when it gets really hot, the A/C just cannot keep up so it's lots of water breaks, fans and "frog togs" to keep the kids cooled off. I have to say that we've been pretty fortunate this summer that it's been slightly cooler than usual so the gym hasn't been too bad.

Our current gym has no AC...our former gym did have AC but the owner was too cheap to turn it on (and didn't turn the heat on in the winter either, so at least they were consistent) ...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back