Parents Jumping?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

Malenkaya

Proud Parent
Reaction score
DD is 5 and about to start kindergarten. She started rec classes last September and absolutely loves it. They recently moved her from the preschool to kindergarten class. The one thing that seems to be hindering her process is jumping.

She had this problem in the preschool classes when they were on the bars. She didn't seem able to jump up onto the little bar to hold herself up and swing her legs. Her coach suggested a little trampoline and I got her one that has the little bar for the kid to hold onto. It's not meant to be a gymnastics bar, obviously, but she is tiny for her age and it could hold her weight. She had no problem getting that concept with the trampoline under her feet and at her very next class she was jumping onto that bar.

Now she's with different coaches and they are working on "the table" with the springboard and they have mats they practice jumping on as well. She has issues with the springboard, as she doesn't quite get the run, jump and spring up all as one motion. She wants to run to the springboard, stop, and then jump on it and so she doesn't get the oomph she needs to where she's trying to go. When they are just jumping from the floor up onto a mat (which is probably a little lower than her knees) she's not grasping that either. The coach shows her (and all the kids) to swing their arms forward and then jump up with both legs together to get onto the mat. She falls on her knees or goes at it one leg at a time, which is more stepping than jumping.

She LOVES gymnastics and all the coaches love her. She's having fun and that's all that matters. I had assumed since it's kindergarten gymnastics the other kids in the class are her same age, but I overheard the mom of (what I assume are) boy girl twins in the class saying they are going into the second grade. So maybe because she's the newest in this class and one of the youngest ones, she's where she's supposed to be. She's working on her cartwheel and handstand and doing pretty good everywhere else, but when it comes to jumping it's kind of like she's mentally hitting a brick wall.

Anyone else witnessed this? Thoughts on how to get past it?

P&F couldn't jump to save her life - really got no clearance and we had to really work on the whole jumping thing. My advice - get her a skipping rope and get her skipping

Jump rope! Great idea, thanks! Good to know she isn't alone with this problem.

A lot of it is purely developmental. AS she gets a bit older the coordination will come and it will take off. LOTS of kids at 5 have a really hard time understanding the whole how to actually use the spring board. With practice it comes.

My extremely short 7 year old, who will compete new level 4 this year, still struggles with spring boards, especially on vault. So size may have something to do with it. My DD is 42 in tall and only weighs 45 pounds.

A lot of it is purely developmental. AS she gets a bit older the coordination will come and it will take off. LOTS of kids at 5 have a really hard time understanding the whole how to actually use the spring board. With practice it comes.

I guess because I assumed she was in with other kids her age - who have already figured it out - I was worried it might be a bigger problem. But she is the new kid in class, having just moved up to their level. I have no idea how long some of them have been working at it.

My extremely short 7 year old, who will compete new level 4 this year, still struggles with spring boards, especially on vault. So size may have something to do with it. My DD is 42 in tall and only weighs 45 pounds.

My DD is 40 inches tall and 35 pounds. Sounds like when she's 7 she might be about your daughter's size. :-)

Give it time, she will get it. You are just at the very beginning. I worry every time, when my daughter struggles at a new skill, that this may be the one that "gets her". But she always figures it out. Your daughter will too, but I understand the anxiety. We've all been there.

My 9 year old dd (10 in December) is 42 inches tall and weighs 34lbs has trouble with the vault as well , she has coordination issues and when she runs to the spring board she stops just before it and then jumps on it - she also has assistance to jump on the vaulting table - she is in the disability development group (like pre team) and she hasn't been going very long so I am sure she will eventually get it.

My 6 year old dd is around 44 inches tall and weighs around 32lbs has no trouble with the vault run and jump on the springboard thing (she is still in rec gymnastics)

All who say 'give her time' are correct. I recommend that you do not compare your dd's progress to any of the others. Each gymnast will advance at their own rate and you will not be doing her a favor by putting pressure on her to try to get a particular skill before she is ready just because her classmate 'Suzie' can do it. Remember that this is a marathon, so sit back and enjoy the ride and stop worrying about each day's progress. Good luck to your dd.

Thanks to all who replied. I'm so glad to have found this site. I ask the questions here I wouldn't ask the coach, and I wouldn't say anything to DD about it....after all, she's five. I'll admit I get nervous over her progress, probably because she loves it so much and I want her to do well.

That's what we are here for. Feel free to ask all the "who do I ask?" questions and we will do our best to answer. You may not like the responses but they will be honest and come from the heart. People on this site are passionate about kids and gymnastics.

My child received poor marks in PE because she couldn't jump rope, throw a ball well, or do jumping jacks with proper form. I don't like seeing poor marks on her report card so I called the teacher and asked if these items were really a fair assessment of my child's physical abilities. He said this is what they are graded on. I told him it was too bad they weren't graded on being able to do at least 20 pull ups, over 50 push ups, and tumbling because she would be his best student.

Made me so mad!!!! And she STILL can't do jumping jacks. She never lands with her feet apart. She jumps up, straddles her legs and then lands feet together with her arms clasped above her head. I've tried doing them that way and I almost fell over!

And when did ball throwing become the end all and be all in athleticism???? Who cares if she can't throw a ball??? If she wanted to throw a ball, I would have put her in little league.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back