Just a random question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

<3GymGirl<3

Gymnast
Have any of you coaches out there every saw a gymnast and thought that she/he had amazing potential and you just wanted to scoop them up and train them yourself? If yes, what made your think this about them, what made them so great?

Just a random question :)

I am training a super small, super strong young boy. great air sense and trains hard. If he was in another squad i would want to train him. I lucked out though.

Yes when I was coaching. It was generally the hard working kids who got and applied corrections, not always the most talented. I like the kids who enjoy what they are doing but that really want to be there working hard.

Since DD left the Y gym and her gymnastics has really improved, I think about some of the girls who were "left behind" at the Y gym (one in particular) and think "Imagine what so-and-so could do if she was training at this gym!" But I suppose that the long hours and high intensity of the private gym isn't the right choice for every gymnast or every family, even if there is a lot of untapped talent.

Sure! It happens all the time if all you look at is their body composition and the way they move in a variety of gymnastics elements in all of the skill groups, like tumbling, swing, run, and beam comfort while doing beginning to intermediate skills. That kinda covers the "do you see" question.T o make me want to "scoop up a gymnast" is going to take much more than the physical characteristics, and until I see the invisible characteristics i'll only be curious.

Think about this for a while and make your list of what invisibles a coach is hoping to see. I'll look for it and post again in about 2 hrs.

I'll reply as a dance teacher because I think the same ideas apply :] What always caught my eye was just as aerialriver said, kids who are enjoying what they are doing and are good at listening and applying corrections. Yes, there are always those kids with amazing flexibility, turn out and high arches, but that doesn't mean anything to me unless all the things in my previous sentence apply to them as well.

Sure! It happens all the time if all you look at is their body composition and the way they move in a variety of gymnastics elements in all of the skill groups, like tumbling, swing, run, and beam comfort while doing beginning to intermediate skills. That kinda covers the "do you see" question.T o make me want to "scoop up a gymnast" is going to take much more than the physical characteristics, and until I see the invisible characteristics i'll only be curious.

Think about this for a while and make your list of what invisibles a coach is hoping to see. I'll look for it and post again in about 2 hrs.

The "invisible" qualities that I look for are listed below in no particular order. These qualities, if combine with average physical skills will always result in an above average experience for the gymnast and her coach. The results can be amazing when they are combined with the above average physical abilities everyone is looking for.

Trust.......Can trust in my ability to mentor competently and safely.

Emotional energy.....Keeps herself going in spite of set-backs as well as challenges from the coach regarding realities in training.

Desire.....Tries to work harder and learn faster than I want. This can also show-up as impatience when I try to manage her time in a way that interferes with her goals.

Appetite....She's always up for a new skill, even when she's already "juggling" several new ones.

Dedication to her goals.....Wants to do everything she can to improve her skill and performance level so much that she'll come up with her own self imposed guidelines for sleep, school, nutrition and home conditioning/flexibility.

Courage of conviction.....Can stand up for herself, and challenge me on technical and training matters. This allows me to know when I'm off track with explanations or expectations.

Enjoys the sport......She's happy In spite of all her intensity and hard work, because what she really enjoys most in her life at this time is the process of learning.

Communicates well and at the right time.

Listens well.....and shows it with inteligent questions.

Self image.....Really believes that she and the rest of us are equals with each their own gifts.

I feel that these invisibles are more important than the visibles and would like to offer an analogy. If you could only buy 100 gallons of gasoline in your life time and owned the most expensive car in the world you wouldn't be as well off as the person who owned a modest car and could buy as much gasoline as it takes to get them to where they want to go.

This happens to my coach haha! There's a competitive and rec group...My coach scopes out the rec group usually while we're stretching or conditioning (they start earlier than us) I think it's kinda funny because while we were stretching, there was this little 6 year old in the rec group doing 180 split leaps without any effort whatsoever and my coach got this gleam in her eyes :p I'm pretty sure she'll be in our group for the new gym year (september) :)

I've coached rec classes and spotted kids I thought would suit going to the competitive stream. Our gym had a 'challenge' day (kind of a 'try-outs' for comp) and rec coaches handed out invites to anyone they thought might be suitable, but sadly the kids I invited didn't go. I think it is often the parents who aren't keen for their kid to get on the competitive track.

The kids I chose stood out because they listened to instructions and tried hard to get the skills right. They actually practised the skills and applied corrections I gave. (Compared to the rest of the rec kids who are really just there to run around and have fun, and don't seem too worried about getting the skills right). I would have loved to have seen what they were really capable of.

...sadly the kids I invited didn't go. I think it is often the parents who aren't keen for their kid to get on the competitive track.

In some ways you need to prep the parent/child about competitive gymnastics. Let the kids know they are doing well, ask them if they would like to do more gymnastics. Get the kid really excited about it and they will likely beg their parent for more. If you can talk to the parents that also helps. Let them know you are impressed with their child and would they be interested in extra rec classes or the competitive program.

That sounds like a great idea, pineapple lump! That sounds like the way it should be done, but I wasn't really able to do that at the time.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back