WAG Late drop vs. split toe on

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

Canadian_gym_mom

Proud Parent
Reaction score
There is a thread in the coach forum talking about this and I wanted to ask another question. First of all, I think you are talking about when they go from cast handstand, put their toes on the bar, and go around then back up to handstand, sort of like a free hip on their toes?

Well my dd does this with both feet down at once, but when she goes around the bar and then stands on it to jump to the high bar, she does one foot then the other.

Why would she do them 2 different ways? Oh and she learned the jump to high bar one way before the other one.

Just curious of course.

In another forum they make fun of the one toe at a time, they call it Canadian, as it seems many girls do it that way in Canada, but not so much other places.

I am not really sure there is any actual difference, beyond how it looks.

The timing is slightly different and for many its easier to put one foot on before the other. This also means that often the first foot is put on too early, but that's a whole other story. The two foot techniques are valued the same if you're wondering.

On a recent coaching workshop with the GB women's junior head coach we were taught to always teach the late drop - never the split step down (we're talking at elite level) Nick, the coach, says always stick with going for 100% correct/most effective technique and don't compromise. Might take a year or more, but stick with it! Again, remember we see talking elite here. For Lower level gymnasts I think you would compromise!

well, i generally agree with Nick. but as far as "effective technique" both are efficient. i have seen (and in many cases taught) just about everything that you can possibly do from 2 feet or step on and the outcome is the same. think Shaps and toe fulls and Maloney's, etc;

doing 2 foot causes pain in the lower back of some kids. sometimes it's related to deficient flexibility. so doing step on works for them and accomplishes the same end goal as 2 foot late drop.

and if done correctly, a step on is also done "late drop". the same long fall and drop as the 2 foot. 1 foot goes on when the body is just below parallel to the floor and the 2nd foot 'drive' under to the bottom of the rail. i haven't measured, but the forces generated at the bottom must be near same for both because all skills currently being done have been done from both techniques. and even at the Elite level.

at the end of the day, it's about not having execution errors. so whatever works best to accomplish this should be used. :)

well, i generally agree with Nick. but as far as "effective technique" both are efficient. i have seen (and in many cases taught) just about everything that you can possibly do from 2 feet or step on and the outcome is the same. think Shaps and toe fulls and Maloney's, etc;

doing 2 foot causes pain in the lower back of some kids. sometimes it's related to deficient flexibility. so doing step on works for them and accomplishes the same end goal as 2 foot late drop.

and if done correctly, a step on is also done "late drop". the same long fall and drop as the 2 foot. 1 foot goes on when the body is just below parallel to the floor and the 2nd foot 'drive' under to the bottom of the rail. i haven't measured, but the forces generated at the bottom must be near same for both because all skills currently being done have been done from both techniques. and even at the Elite level.

at the end of the day, it's about not having execution errors. so whatever works best to accomplish this should be used. :)
==
ditto

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back