Coaches Learning to spot

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

Mthegymqueen

Coach
Gymnast
Hello, I am in my coaches training at my gym (I do training before I turn 16, so I can start working at 16, rather than to the training after I turn 16). However, the downside of the program is I am not allowed to spot (you can only learn to spot if you do trainings when you are 16 and older).

I would like to know how I can learn to spot outside of the gym, so I feel more confident about spotting once I can coach. The hardest I would be allowed to coach is about xcel bronze/silver (handstands (vault, beam and floor), pullovers, back hip circles, bridges, rolls, walkovers, handsprings, etc.), but I think for now, I would stick with preschool (rolling down wedges and walks on beam) or rec classes (similar to the xcels, minus the more advanced tumbling).

Thank you!

Are you in the US? USAG has a hands on spotting course, although it's easiest to find when it's hosted by your gym. You could also ask about state or regional Congress, as courses are also done there.

I do find the policy odd though. We teach all of our coaches to spot regardless of age and consider it very important. Even the 14-15 year olds who are only assisting with birthday parties learn the basics.

Are you in the US? USAG has a hands on spotting course, although it's easiest to find when it's hosted by your gym. You could also ask about state or regional Congress, as courses are also done there.

I do find the policy odd though. We teach all of our coaches to spot regardless of age and consider it very important. Even the 14-15 year olds who are only assisting with birthday parties learn the basics.
Yes, I am in the US

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back