Parents Let down by current gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

xrachx

Coach
Proud Parent
Hi all,

My DD has been doing gym now since she was 6/7 (she's now 10), just standard rec classes but absolutely loves it. She flew through her BG badges, but she's been saying for a long time that she doesn't feel challenged in her rec class. When I spoke with her coach, they said they'd love to move her to a higher level group, but there's just no space.
Speaking with a friend whose DD is in this higher level group (but the same ability to my daughter), they have the same frustrations as there appears to be no progression to the teams (with the same reasons).

I'm under no illusion that my DD is a prodigy and will be in the Olympics etc, but she loves gym, wants to be pushed and challenge, and also wants to compete.

So, I took her to another gym yesterday for a private session (which her gym don't offer so no conflict there). The coach asked loads of questions about her current classes etc, and was horrified that they don't do any conditioning with DD. The majority of her session was then taken up with conditioning, and by the end, DD was doing moves she'd struggled with for months. The coach explained how her lack of flexibility was what has held her back from doing the more complex moves, and it could have been rectified so easily a long time ago with so little work.

I'd love to move her to this new gym completely, but as we're going to be moving away soon, we decided that regular privates would be more beneficial to get her ready for tryouts at the gym in our new city.

I'm now feeling utterly disappointed with her current coaches, as I feel they have let my DD down. She's got her normal lesson tomorrow and I'm not sure what to do. Do I tell her gym about what the coach said or do I just keep quiet as we'll be moving soon enough? Last thing I want is to be dismissed as just a CGM whose sticking her nose in on their training methods, but I also want to do what I can to help DD progress as she wants to.

Thanks in advance for any advice! :)

I'd explain to the new gym that your moving soon, and ask if she can join in classes temporarily until you move. I'd keep quiet with your existing gym.

Unfortunately this is one if the drawbacks of the uk two tier system. If your child isn't spotted as a potential elite at 6/7/8 years old and placed on the elite track, it can be quite difficult for your talented but not superstar kids to get out of rec, or if they are, to be challenged or pushed enough to keep them interested. The money is in rec kids, the kudos in elites, the kids in the middle can get a bit lost in some gyms.

Thanks for your reply. I've emailed the coaching director at the new gym, explaining the whole situation, and asking to see if they have any spaces for her ability level. Had a chat to my friend, and she is looking at moving her daughter to the same club as well, as her DD is feeling so frustrated she wants to quit, so I'm kind of glad it's not just us going through this.
The private coach said exactly the same thing, gyms fill their rec classes to pay for their teams basically, so DD is definitely in that limbo area. Just keeping fingers crossed they can accommodate her at this new club!

It also depends on which part of the UK you are in. Where we are ther are no elites ( in WAG anyway) and so there is much more competition at the lower levels

I'm in the Bristol area, so every gym pretty much has elite tracks luckily. Where we're moving next year, our choices are massively reduced, so I'm blaming my husband for that one lol

One of my old gym mates coaches in Bristol. Standards are pretty high in that region I believe.

Where are you moving to, if that's not too nosy?

Hi all,

My DD has been doing gym now since she was 6/7 (she's now 10), just standard rec classes but absolutely loves it. She flew through her BG badges, but she's been saying for a long time that she doesn't feel challenged in her rec class. When I spoke with her coach, they said they'd love to move her to a higher level group,
Thanks in advance for any advice! :)

Hi..

I was in a similar position as you, my dd was 6 by the time she had completed her BG core proficiency badges, I was told by one of her coaches that dd was doing very well and that she thought that dd should move out of the 1 hour a week rec class.

Dd took a cheerleading class between the ages of 5 and 6 at the gym and got all the cheerleading badges from 1-6 and the bronze, silver and gold badges within a year, she was invited to go up to the cheerleading squad with more hours and conditioning, she did it for 4 1/2 months and decided to quit as she wanted to just do gymnastics (she was very young - nearly all the other girls were double her age). Dd continued with rec gymnastics and when she got her final BG badge and medal I spoke to the head coach and asked about dd and if he though she could move out of rec, I was told that he had noticed her and that he was on his list for a new group that he was planning on starting and I would know more in Nov (this month), I haven't spoke to the head coach again as the coach who already mentioned that she thought dd was doing well has invited dd to have a trial in a group that she teaches and dd started last week. Dd goes once a week for 2 1/2 hours, she does conditioning and is learning how to do things with form. My dd is not the most flexible - she does have some flexibility but needs work and she is not strong enough to do a chin up on her own as they did not teach that in her old rec class. Dd will go once a week for the time being - dd has just turned 7. Dd's new class has only girls in it - 3 which were already there and dd and another girl that started with her, the ages are between 7 (my dd), an 8 year old and two 9 year olds and a 10 year old and they have two coaches. I have no idea where this will lead but I am happy that dd has finally moved out of rec.

From all that I have gone through with dd - watching other girls move out of rec, see new groups being made in the past and seeing dd left in rec was very frustrating especially has dd seemed to be better at gym the some of the girls that moved up but it seems to have worked out in the end.

Please don't give up, I nearly did with dd as it felt that I was banging my head against a brick wall lol

One of my old gym mates coaches in Bristol. Standards are pretty high in that region I believe.
Where are you moving to, if that's not too nosy?
Everyone seems to know everyone here lol. Just found out DDs fav rec coach is ex teammates of (and still friends with) her private coach, so think I will have to break the news to her current club about the private lessons before word reaches them anyway.
We're off to Norwich, so choice is pretty limited, but already had a chat to Norwich Gymnastics which is the closest to where we'll be living. Just need to take DD to have a look round when we're next up there!

Please don't give up, I nearly did with dd as it felt that I was banging my head against a brick wall lol
I read your situation before I posted, it is such a common story that coaches give the positive talks every so often to keep kids going (and parents paying), then do nothing to follow through. Hence organising for DD to go for privates, just to reassure her (and me) that she does actually have some talent and skill :)

oooh Norfolk, Norwich - A fine city !

I seem to remember that Norfolk were very competitive at Sapphire. And I read one of their websites and it was all about not questioning the coaches and following the programme ! - good job I'm on the other side of the country !

You should look at TNAG, they have some great up and comers.

In fact drop a pm to Putri on here- she is in that area and was looking around about a year ago. I think she had it narrowed down to tnag and Huntingdon, and chose tnag in the end.

It's well worth calling and even trialling at a few gyms before you choose, find the best fit :). You're actually in a pretty nice situation in that you have a genuine reason to go gym shopping, it can be a nightmare trying to switch locally!

I've had a chat with TNAG as well as NGC, but planning to have a nosy in the new year. Might have a peek further afield too, it's so difficult as I don't know the area so no idea where anything is lol

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back