Parents Looking for advice, moving and ds does not want to go to a new gym...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

gymboymom

Proud Parent
Reaction score
Ok, so ds is only 7 and has a lot of issues with change. He is a 2nd year L4. He loves gymnastics, but honestly is a bit frustrated with it right now (can't get those mushroom circles! And hasn't practiced his ROBHS in forever). We aren't moving for a few months, which will be mid comp season, which complicates things. What I am hoping happens is, he does great at his first meet before we leave and that remotivates him. I am not going to mention the gym change again (he has seen the most likely gym he will go it) but they want him to come and try it out when we are in town, so I can't wait til we move. Any advice for me on ways to handle this? Gymnastics is definitely his sport, I would hate for him to give it up just because we move.

Sympathize, but tell him you are having him try out the new gym.
"I know you have a tougher time trying out new things, but you love gymnastics so much that I can't let you quit just because we're moving. The coaches want you to come practice with them next month (or whenever) when we visit there, so you can see it and meet the other boys. It'll be great having friends on the team when you move, so you will automatically know some people there! If you don't like it after 3 mos (or 6 mos or whatever), then we can talk about you doing something else, but you have to give this a try."
My own son doesn't do gymnastics, but has had a tough time with change too and sympathy, but a firm rule on trying things has always worked with him (he's 17 now and a big past it, but still tends to withdraw rather than seek out new things!)

When I have moved my girls in the past , I have just told them that we are done at X gym and we move on...I remember when I moved my daughter at age 8 and she said I was "ruining her life"..the next gym was so much better for her, she made new friends and thrived ...so i wouldn't worry about moving him too much

Thanks so much. I love the idea of telling him he will have friends already this way. I looked their meet schedule and I think we can watch a meet right after we move which will help him before he competes with a new team. One step at a time..,

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back