Gymnasts Losing Things

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

superNova08

Coach
Gymnast
So I'm a retired gymnast but I'm trying to keep all the floor and bars skills I had as they'll come in handy while I transition into American Ninja Warrior training. (Yes my goal is to get on the show maybe someday not sure yet).
Long story short, I was in a residential treatment center (RTC) for 6 weeks (eating disorder, self-harm, PTSD) and out of doing anything on my hands for another 2 weeks because of a wrist injury.
Today I was training and I can still do a kip, but I've completely lost my long hang pullover and baby giants. Plus my front tuck is falling apart because I lost strength and I can't do an aerial anymore, even if I'm doing it off a higher surface onto an airbag (I put my hands down every time).
I'm starting weights training soon to get some strength back, but here's my question: How do I get these skills back and maintain everything while not being in a gymnastics gym?
Technique and safety aren't a worry because I'm an ex-coach as well so I know how to critique technique through videos, and I'm always careful of the environment I do things in.
Any advice is welcomed.

The only caveat to any advice is that due to my ED(which was quite severe), I can't train more than 2 hours/week doing cardio. Strength training isn't really limited. But trying any skills counts as cardio sadly. I'll also be in a PHP program from about 8-3 every day.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Other people will maybe comment more technical things, but from experience I want to bring up the most important factor in regaining strength.

I am semi-recovred from an eating disorder. I've lost my kip a few times, and almost every time it coincided with me having lost weight / not eating enough. I know you still have your kip, but this goes for all skills. The difference I notice when I'm underfed or at lower weight is incredible, it's like 'why won't my body do this, it's supposed to be able to'. Riley McCusker was once asked if gymnastics had gotten harder now that she'd gained more weight. Her response: it was easier, because she was stronger and had the energy to do things.

I know you didn't come here for a preach on eating well, but I just wanted to tell you this because I've experienced it myself. If you do strength training especially, you'll train away your muscles if there's not enough fuel for them to recover.

As for what exercises, I will say unfortunately start anything you do slow. It's so easy to overdo it when recovering, and eating disorders make your body fragile. Stress fractures come easier etc when you push too soon, so make sure to check with the medical staff. I'd say try and start low with exercises, google some beginner strength stuff and see how that feels.

Others feel free to reply more gymnastics technical stuff.

If you want to ask me anything about my experiences that may help you, feel free to ask anything. (I will not be saying anything with numbers/weight though.)

Other people will maybe comment more technical things, but from experience I want to bring up the most important factor in regaining strength.

I am semi-recovred from an eating disorder. I've lost my kip a few times, and almost every time it coincided with me having lost weight / not eating enough. I know you still have your kip, but this goes for all skills. The difference I notice when I'm underfed or at lower weight is incredible, it's like 'why won't my body do this, it's supposed to be able to'. Riley McCusker was once asked if gymnastics had gotten harder now that she'd gained more weight. Her response: it was easier, because she was stronger and had the energy to do things.

I know you didn't come here for a preach on eating well, but I just wanted to tell you this because I've experienced it myself. If you do strength training especially, you'll train away your muscles if there's not enough fuel for them to recover.

As for what exercises, I will say unfortunately start anything you do slow. It's so easy to overdo it when recovering, and eating disorders make your body fragile. Stress fractures come easier etc when you push too soon, so make sure to check with the medical staff. I'd say try and start low with exercises, google some beginner strength stuff and see how that feels.

Others feel free to reply more gymnastics technical stuff.

If you want to ask me anything about my experiences that may help you, feel free to ask anything. (I will not be saying anything with numbers/weight though.)
I've never been underweight. (I'm bulimic if that helps to know at all). I've always had a fair amount of strength. I'll even be taking a strength and conditioning class through school second semester.

I've never gotten stress fractures. It is a bit easier for me to get injured though due to a genetic disorder (hEDS).

I'm thinking maybe the problem is just that I've lost muscle memory. Not sure though.

Also was wondering, do you have any tricks for staying in sports and things without your brain jumping straight to overexercising and the like?

Thanks!

Also I totally get the no numbers thing I'm in the same boat here.

Also was wondering, do you have any tricks for staying in sports and things without your brain jumping straight to overexercising and the like?
Oh wow, that's a really good question. I apologise if my answer is a bit long, it's not an easy one.

1. Long term: underlying issues.

I think there's a lot to it. In the end, I think the biggest factor is goals and mindset, but that's a long term problem to tackle: answering for yourself, why would you want to overexercise? If you are unhappy with your body and want to overexercise because of that, then in the long term learning to be happy with your body will help. Fighting the underlying problem will help a lot in the long term.

2. Avoiding certain triggers.
That being said, I think in some ways an eating disorder is an addiction. Unlike an addict who can avoid situations involving drugs, we can't avoid situations with food, diets, exercise etc because food is the fuel for life. However, we can avoid certain things that can trigger us.

Personally, I don't do pure cardio. It is too connected to weight loss in my head. I mean I do running at gymnastics in warm up, and I'll do routine choreography, but I don't just go have a 1 hour spinning class or running. That's a personal choice for me for right now. You can figure out what might be more triggering for you or less triggering. Which things easily go from 'I will do 30 minutes' to 'okay 60' 'no wait 90'. Try to start with easier things.

3. Find somebody to help you stick to your plans and limits
Make clear agreements with somebody. This can help me a lot. I have a dietician I fully trust, and I discuss with her to what extent I exercise and how much I need to eat extra for it. And I stick to that. Sure, occasionally there's times when something goes wrong, but then I still try to make sure I stick to it as much as I can. If you agree with somebody how much you will exercise, you can always build it out later. I'd advise you make these agreements with somebody you respect and feel somewhat comfortable with. A good agreement is two sided: it's much easier to keep a promise if you came to it together and you agree with it. (I used to have teachers who would say "shall we agree you'll finish your assignment tomorrow". And that's not an agreement, that's just them telling me "im the boss and you're doing this". Which is sometimes fine but the phrasing always bothered me)

4. Check your mindset while working out.
Make sure to check what you're thinking and what's motivating you as you're working out. Try to keep exercising focussed on healthy and fun goals. If you're thinking about getting your back tuck back, about feeling fitter, or just focussed on what you're doing, etc. Then that's good.
If you find yourself pushing too hard, thinking about calories burnt or how much you should be doing, what certain body parts may look like due to exercising, or other 'disordered' goals, maybe take a minute to stop and think if this is the way you wan'to be going.

5. Ask your healthcare team for advise.
6. A sidenote about bulimia and biochemistry

I've never been underweight. (I'm bulimic if that helps to know at all). I've always had a fair amount of strength. I'll even be taking a strength and conditioning class through school second semester.
I just wanted to add this in, this isn't about over exercising but still important.
I expect in recovery you'll have heard a lot of this already, but underweight is really not the only eating disorder thing that can mess with your sports performance. Purging can have a strong effect on strength and coordination, because it disturbs your electrolyte balance and hydration. Unbalanced nutrition (lack of food or lack of certain types of food) can cause similar issues.
Not trying to guilt you or anything, but it's important to know so you're not stuck wondering why thigns arent working as well as you'd like. Or so you don't go sporting in unsafe conditions.

7. Finally, most importantly:
These are my tips based on my experience. I don't know you well, I'm not a medical expert nor an eating disorder expert. In the end, trust medical experts to know about your health, and trust yourself to know yourself. Be honest with yourself, and be patient.

I'll be honest, I kind of had to stop typing during points 6 and 7 so I'm sorry if they're a mess. I had some more things to say, mostly a hopeful message (that I've come a long way and I'm sure can too. sometimes it's two steps forwards one step back, etc). but I'm recovering from a covid which hit me quite hard so I'm getting exhasted typing and I'll leave it at this.

Hope it helps, I may comment again later.

And like I said, check things with your medical team. I'm not a doctor.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back