Parents meet update

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Daughter competed this weekend at the pink invitational, a large meet to support breast cancer. She scored her highest floor 7.6 she has struggled with level6 floor all season so she was happy. Her other events she got low 8's her AA was 32.15 (she has been getting around 32 the past 3 meets. Her beam looked really good her backwalkover she stuck perfectly. Her bars are really good but she bobbled on landing her flyaway and I think she lost points. She was alittle disappointed in that she did not place in anything but she still has a good attitude and was taking her grips out of her meet bag to put in the new bag that they gave her for practice tonight. Once again her teammate in a different age level got a couple medals but her bar score was actually lower than my daughters and she placed and daughter did not.
The meet was really nice as usually they gave the girls breastcancer leos to compete in really cute and very well run. They have a great photographer who takes pictures of floor and beam and they sell the CD I will try to post them later. They had that sports pschologist Doc Allie talk to them and give them a CD. Daughter also had 2 teammates come to cheer her and her friend on. Since they have such a small team it is great how supportive the girls are of each other. Both these girls just came to our gym last year and daughter has gotten really close to them. Despite of them being different ages 2-3 years apart and different levels ( the one girl started out competing with my daughter skipped level 6 and went to 7, amazingly she placed first at this meet, so if a kid has alot of talent it can be done.). Daughter also saw other girls that she is friendly with from another gym later she told me they were cheering during her floor routine. These girls placed in awards over my daughter I am so glad my daughter shows such a good attitude and gets along with them despite of them winning medals over her.
Daughter is turning 11 this week and so I did allow 2 of the girls to have a sleepover the night before the meet. Some how daughter's coach found out I do not think she was too happy but I am glad I did. The girls went to bed early and the meet did not start till later. I think it is important for her to have fun and create good memories so instead of her thinking remember that meet where I did not do so good she can look back and remember the fun we had sleeping over and them coming to her meet the next day. When I see all the girls who have daughters gym the girls do not look back on the medals they won they look back on the good times they had with their friends. I think this is just as important because this is what I think sustains alot of them in this sport.
Well daughter has one more meet until States then I hope we can finally say goodbye to level 6. I found the judging on at this level to be incredible tough. I am hoping that daughter can either do prep optional next year or move to 7. I think her having her own floor routines will help (she is doing great in the dance they are learning for their state meet). I was watching the prep optionals at the meet this past weekend it seems like this would be a good fit for her next year instead of repeating 6. I am not sure she is ready for 7 even though I have heard the judging is not as tough and she is working on giants and backhandsprings on the beam.

I think you are right on about letting the girls have fun with the sleepover. That is what this craziness is all about right? I might opt for a sleepover after the meet, but as long as they went to bed early I'm sure it's fine. (How did you manage that, by the way?) Congrats to your DD on another awesome meet.

I totally agree about memories over medals!! That what growing up is all about, I know I want my kids to look back and think I had
a GREAT childhoon not that my mom and dad did not allow anything:)

I've heard/seen that the level 6 judging is really tough. Mostly our team skips level 6 and does Prep Op instead, but the group of girls coming out of level 5 now (my DD included) is so much younger than the current prep ops that I think the coach is thinking about doing level 6 with them next year. I have mixed feelings about it. On one hand, I like the idea that she's continuing to progress through the USAG levels, and I'm not sure if she needs to be praciticing with a bunch of teenagers. On the other, I know she'd probably have a "better" year, score-wise and place-wise, if she did Prep Op.

The private gym in town goes to the Pink Invitational. I've seen pictures. It's really something to see all of those girls in matching leos! Of course, I have enough trouble picking my daughter out from the other little girls with long blonde hair just on her TEAM... I'd never know which one was her if everybody in the meet was wearing the same leo! I'd probably get home with videos of the wrong kid! :)

Hi. My daughter competes at the Y so did not go to this meet but a bunch of her friends from neighboring gyms did - they had lots of fun, it does sound fun!

At our meets I definately see level 7 judged easier. The same girls who I would watch at level 6 and get low 8s on floor and bars, and 7s, seem to all be getting 9s or close to it on floor and decent bars scores also.

Sounds like so much fun with the sleepover and the friends cheering for her. I have heard that is a really great meet. I most defnitely think that one of the most important parts of this sport and especially the meet season part is making happy memories. No one will remember what their AA score was in a year but they will remember what they did or did not do with their friends and their family that weekend. Gymnastics scores are not everything. Coaches sometimes need gentle reminders that these are kids and not Olympians and that their whole entire life can and should not be consumed by gymnastics, especially the scores and placements (stepping off soapbox now). Anyway, sounds like your daughter is dealing with the pressures and frustrations beautifully. Level 6 is notorious for being tough and I am glad she has survived it. On to bigger, better, and more fun things next season!!!

I just have to commiserate on the brutal scoring at Level 6! My gymmie is putting out nice routines and getting butchered! She's not the only one by any means..so that makes me feel bettter! She doesn't pay much attention to scores and I really try not to...it's tougher for me to ignore!;-) At least they are still having fun!

Congrats to her on a good meet and a great attitude! It's so tough when they have teammates scoring lower, but getting medals, when they don't. And it sounds like the sleepover went well--early bed and a late start for the meet--coach should have nothing to be upset about :).

Scoring at level 6 here is always tough too! It's nicer when you get to level 7 because the coach can adjust routines so the girls have skills that fit them better.

Sounds like your DD had a great meet and she def has a wondful attitude about it all. I know nothing personaly about the L6 scoring but have heard many many times that its brutal. Sounds like your Dd left this meet with many wonderful memories (leo to boot). I wouldnt worry to much how the coach felt about your DD having a couple friends over for a sleepover the night before. They got to bed early, had plenty of time to rest before having to get up and get going. Hope your DD all the best at her next meet then at States.

Sounds like a good meet for her! It is very hard when others get medals even when scoring lower. This is why I do not look at the placements but rather the improvements over all! She has much to be proud of!! Level 6 is TOUGH !!!

I am glad that your daughter made it through the tough times at the beginning of the season and is enjoying level 6. It is a tough level. It is hard to see kids in other age groups score lower and medal, sometimes I wonder how it could be made any more fair, but I don't think that huge age groups (all ages) would work either. One of those parts of gymnastics that are just never fair. Happy early birthday to your daughter! Nice that she got to have the sleepover and have fun with her friends. I tell my DD that sometimes, you won't look back and say "Darn, I missed practice a few times," you will look back and say "Remember when we did XYZ!"

Prep-opt sounds like a good option if your daughter is in between 6/7. There is plenty of time though for her and the coaches to get that all figured out!

Thanx for all the positive comments. I agree level6 is tough but I do not want to scare all the parents girls who are going into level 6 my daughter has struggled with injuries first wrist pain then heel and she has been growing. Just wanted to let you know that her teammate who was an average level5 is doing great at level 6 so it is hard to predict. Anyway when daughter walked into to gym last night all her teammates were cheering for her getting a 7.6 on floor they ran up to the other coach to tell her that she did good. It both me and her her feel good they see her in practice more than me and I quess they realize how much she has struggled.

Congrats to your dd on a great meet! I think both you and your dd have a great attitude, it is not always about winning, it is about having a good time!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back