Coaches Moved to a New Gym, Safety Concerns

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

caraburn

Coach
Judge
Hi Everybody,
I having a slight conundrum. I recently relocated for school. The past 5 years I was a head coach of compulsories, but now that I have moved and am at a new gym I no longer hold that role. It is something that I wanted because I needed more time to focus on my schoolwork, however I am having difficulty not being able to make decisions when I feel they need to be made especially regarding safety. At this new gym that I am at I do not share the same views as the people in charge in regards to certain safety issues. One example is, I personally believe that for young kids learning to jump to the high bar, the bars should be very close and low to begin with to lessen the impact of a fall if a fall were to happen, but they spread the bars out and are set very high. I do not want the owners to think I am being pretentious or trying to step on their toes by bringing these issues to them and I also understand that they have their own reasons for doing what they do, but I find myself cringing everytime I see a little one barely grab the high bar in fear that they will fall and be severely injured. This only one example. How do I handle this situation? Should I find a way to respectfully bring this up to the owners, or should I just respect their way of coaching and learn to handle it.

Thanks for any advice :)

Have you sat down and talked with them about your concerns?

I have vaguely brought up some of my concerns to the owners but haven't formally brought them up. I have mentioned that I had done things differently but I didn't tell them that I disagree with their ways. I do not want to offend them or act like I am trying to step on their shoes and I feel that no matter how I bring up the issues that they will be offended. I understand that everyone has their own coaching styles and philosophies and that I need to respect theirs as it is their gym but I also feel that my number 1 job as a coach is to keep my gymnasts safe and eliminate as much risk as possible and at the moment I do not feel that that is happening. I guess for now, I will just have to be as cautious as possible and hope that they eventually change their ideas. It just very nerve-racking because I don't want anybody to get injured, and I especially don't want to be responsible for anybody's injuries if it happens under my supervision.

I guess it would depend on the issue. If it were something that seemed insignificant and wasn't likely to result in an accident, I would probably just grin and bear it. When you are teaching those skills or using those stations yourself, take the measures (within reason) that you think make the activity safer, or skip them altogether. So when you have kids on bars, either skip high bar jumps or move the bars to a more appropriate setting. Or spot like crazy, which is what I always do on bars when starting jumps to the high bar, regardless of bar setting.
Work around them the best you can, maybe casually raise some concerns every once in a while, maybe disguised as questions or comments ("I noticed the kids were jumping to the HB in x-class. I was wondering what setting you find safest for that age group/level?" Or "I've heard some horror stories about smaller kids jumping to the high bar, is it okay if I move them lower/closer when we are working that skill?") They could be things the HC/owners have honestly never thought of or realized.
I did work at a rec program for a little while that had so many glaring safety problems (major stuff) that caused so much stress I had to stop working there, so I understand your concerns. But this sounds like this program just has a few "kinks" that don't work with what you know, but maybe as you work there longer and show them you are knowledgeable you'll be able to help remedy some of those things. But I wouldn't come out guns blazing as a new coach.

Thanks for your reply! It was definitely helpful. I like that last sentence as that's kind of what I have been trying to avoid. I have a degree in Sports Science and am a Level 9 Rated judge and come from a gym that is more successful (competition wise) so I feel like one of the owners who pretty much runs the team program is slightly threatened by me because I am more qualified (on paper) than she is. That doesn't necessarily make me a better coach and that's not what I am trying to accomplish, but I feel like she is almost in competition with me so bringing up too many concerns is not something that I want to do because I don't want to cause a rift in our relationship because I just want to help them be successful and working together is the best way to do that. I try to ask her opinion on things as much as I can so she knows I respect her and her coaching abilities, but I don't feel comfortable enough yet to bring up any issues. When I do bar stations I tend to stick to mostly low bar work because I am afraid they will get mad if I try to pull the bars in, like I am being defiant or something. At this point I am mostly just avoiding any kind of situation that I would be insecure in as much as I possibly can. I do believe that they have a good program and run a great business, but I do see a lot of things that could make it better regarding the team program and that would make it a safer place for the gymnasts and reduce the injuries that they have. I have never seen so many compulsory kids wearing knee, ankle, wrist braces as I do at this gym. I just want to help :(

You joined a program, not the other way around.

c'mon CoachP. you know this poster is correct. what she has described has caused more injuries than any other skill at the compulsory and below levels. be reasonable.

c'mon CoachP. you know this poster is correct. what she has described has caused more injuries than any other skill at the compulsory and below levels. be reasonable.
===
Hi, Dunno, I'm not saying its safe or not. (believe me, we have a step by step progression for jumping, we also do a lot of back falling drills with the little ones). I'm just saying, they joined a program, so pointing out safety issues is probably not going to go over well. Suggesting progressions or drills, WITHOUT the usage of the word safety will go over better, but slowly....

Good luck! I'm sure once they get to know you and realize that you are there to help, not push anyone out of a job or make anyone look bad, they will be more receptive to what you have to offer. In the meantime, don't do anything that goes against what you stand for as a coach when it comes to safety (I feel like you can do that without being confrontational) and show them what an asset to the program you are! It just takes some people time to warm up to a new coach.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back