Parents My Turn to Brag!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So, in the last two weeks, DD has regained her RO/BHS/BT and her Cast Handstand. She had these skills a year ago, but lost them somehow after leaving her old gym in Maryland and moving to a gym in Nebraska. We've since moved her again to another gym in town, and her new Coach has been spending a lot of individual time with her. Well, all of a sudden she got both skills back one right after the other.

Now they'll tackle regaining her Fly-away, and she'll have regained everything she lost before the move. We are so proud of how hard she has worked. She's really blooming under her new Coach's instruction and this gym seems like a good fit for her. She was just beaming last week after knocking out one cast handstand after another. DW was in tears when she saw her.

WOW! Sounds like a great coaching fit! I'm sure the flyaway will be reappearing soon too!

That's great news!! My dd lost her ROBHS after moving cheer gyms when she was 8. Unfortunately, backward tumbling is still her nemesis after 3 years :(. She is getting more and more confident, though, slowly but surely :)

Thanks everyone. We labored over the decision of whether or not to move her again to another gym after she was just getting settled with her new teammates, but now we are extremely glad that we did. The other gym was very reputable and successful, but the coaching style just did not mesh at all with our daughter's personality (very quiet, shy, methodical, and perfectionist).

The new gym is very family-oriented and extremely laid back. She is really starting to come back out of her shell. It's like a weight has been lifted off of her and all of the stress she was experiencing is now gone. We probably should have moved her sooner, but weren't sure at the time if it was the right decision and didn't want to make a stressful situation worse. After reading several other posts on here from parents debating the switch, I think that if you are even thinking about moving, then it is probably time to move.

That's great news!! My dd lost her ROBHS after moving cheer gyms when she was 8. Unfortunately, backward tumbling is still her nemesis after 3 years :(. She is getting more and more confident, though, slowly but surely :)
MdGymMom01 - I'm glad to hear that your DD is working through it and getting her backward tumbling back. I think it's strange how easily something like changing gyms can cause them to lose a skill they once had down.

MdGymMom01 - I'm glad to hear that your DD is working through it and getting her backward tumbling back. I think it's strange how easily something like changing gyms can cause them to lose a skill they once had down.

I think it was more of the difference in coaching styles that threw Dani's tumbling off. She started off at a Acro/Cheer gym that had very strict russian coaches. Their acro team is extremeley successful, it's just the coaching style was very harsh, rigid and a bit intimidating to say the least. The enviroment just wasn't working for Dani after a while. She began to shut down (out of fear) and stopped communicating and showing any emotion. So when we switched to a different cheer gym, it was a big culture shock for her because the coaches were gentle and laid back. It took her a while to learn to trust coaches again. Plus, the cheer gym was pretty intense and a bit overwhelming for her as well. Too much pressure to tumble, especially because she was on a team where full squad tumbling was needed.

Anyway, it was obvious that she needed a break and she needed to take a few steps back and work on the basics to build her confidence back up. This will be her 3rd year at the gymnastics gym and her coach is wonderful--very patient, encouraging and knows what motivates Dani. She has gotten Dani to really break out of her shell and let her personality shine through. Dani too, can be very shy, timid, a perfectionist and methodical as well. But, as you can see from the gymnastic meet videos on my youtube account in my siggie, she can be a very fun and bubbly little girl! I believe that patience and perservearance are two big aspects of gymnastics that you have to learn to accept.

Wow--I am really writing a book here LOL. I just wanted to give you enough background on Dani to help you better understand her and her story. Thanks for listening and glad to have you here on the CB dad!!!

I think it was more of the difference in coaching styles that threw Dani's tumbling off. She started off at a Acro/Cheer gym that had very strict russian coaches. Their acro team is extremeley successful, it's just the coaching style was very harsh, rigid and a bit intimidating to say the least. The enviroment just wasn't working for Dani after a while. She began to shut down (out of fear) and stopped communicating and showing any emotion. So when we switched to a different cheer gym, it was a big culture shock for her because the coaches were gentle and laid back. It took her a while to learn to trust coaches again. Plus, the cheer gym was pretty intense and a bit overwhelming for her as well. Too much pressure to tumble, especially because she was on a team where full squad tumbling was needed.

Anyway, it was obvious that she needed a break and she needed to take a few steps back and work on the basics to build her confidence back up. This will be her 3rd year at the gymnastics gym and her coach is wonderful--very patient, encouraging and knows what motivates Dani. She has gotten Dani to really break out of her shell and let her personality shine through. Dani too, can be very shy, timid, a perfectionist and methodical as well. But, as you can see from the gymnastic meet videos on my youtube account in my siggie, she can be a very fun and bubbly little girl! I believe that patience and perservearance are two big aspects of gymnastics that you have to learn to accept.

Wow--I am really writing a book here LOL. I just wanted to give you enough background on Dani to help you better understand her and her story. Thanks for listening and glad to have you here on the CB dad!!!
I'm extremely grateful for the post and am really happy to hear that things appear to have worked out for Dani. It seems that our girls have many things in common. Missy had the same reaction with the first gym she attended here in Nebraska and their style of instruction. She would wake up in the mornings dreading practice because she was under so much stress. She even considered quitting at one point. We asked her to stick it out until after States and then we would look at other gyms if she still wasn't happy. Well she went to one practice at the new gym and we new she had found a home. Quitting gymnastics is the furthest thing from her mind at this point. Thanks again for the welcome. I'm glad to finally be a CB member.

That is great!!! It can be so frustrating when they lose a skill that they had. I am glad that the new Gym is a great fit and that she is happy there.

that is awesome! Got to love when things come together. It sounds like the gym move was the right decision.

What wonderful news! Congratulations to your dd! So glad that the new gym is a great fit for her.

Is she at a gym in the Omaha area? That's where we are...just curious if she's going to the same gym as my daughter. :)

I was just thinking the same thing. Sounds exactly like our gym, much family friendlier & low key than the other gyms in the area.

mkarloff,

Yes, she's at a gym in Omaha, but not at the same gym as Grace. I recognize your gym from the background in your DD's video. The owners/coaches at your gym are awesome people though. I'll PM you with more.

Last edited:
Oh wait, I read your last post wrong (that's what I get trying to read it from my cell phone). We are at the same gym as MKarloff. I'm glad to hear that another gym has a great coaches with a great attitude. Best of luck to your daughter!

3stars...I 'think' I know who you are! Are our daughters named similarly? haha!!! :D

Oh wait, I read your last post wrong (that's what I get trying to read it from my cell phone). We are at the same gym as MKarloff. I'm glad to hear that another gym has a great coaches with a great attitude. Best of luck to your daughter!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back