Parents Need exercise ideas for dd

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So my 7 yr old who just joined team at a new gym has had 2 practices so far. She's doing ok but having trouble on what seems to be a pretty simple skill. But I have no idea how to help her get it.
In the level 2 beam routine, they swing their leg over and then tuck legs up, straighten one leg out and then have to stand up without using their hands.
She can not stand up. I thought maybe it was because she was scared of falling off beam but she tried it just on the floor and she couldn't even get up on the floor yikes!!!!
I'm not sure if its a strength thing or a flexibility thing or both.
But other then just trying to do it over and over again. What things could I do with her at home to work on it?
Thanks so much!!

I don't have any tips as I am not a coach and we don't do level 2 in my state. But as a mom, I wouldn't get involved in helping my daughter with skills. She has only been to two practices at a new gym where you are unfamiliar with the coaching methods. You don't want your good intentions to backfire and confuse her or come across to the coaches as interfering. I would give it some time and let your dd get used to the new gym, new coaches, and level 2 routines without bringing it home. Support her as a mom (which I'm sure you already are) and leave the skills to the coaches.

I don't have any tips as I am not a coach and we don't do level 2 in my state. But as a mom, I wouldn't get involved in helping my daughter with skills. She has only been to two practices at a new gym where you are unfamiliar with the coaching methods. You don't want your good intentions to backfire and confuse her or come across to the coaches as interfering. I would give it some time and let your dd get used to the new gym, new coaches, and level 2 routines without bringing it home. Support her as a mom (which I'm sure you already are) and leave the skills to the coaches.

Thank you for your response gymnastjoy. I do agree with you. I definitely do not want to interfere in her training or be a hovering mama.
But in this case I feel this is a necessary place to step in. She will NOT get to compete if she can't get this skill. ALL the other girls can do it no problem. I truly feel like unless I work some things everyday at home I don't think she will get it in the near future.
Probably the best thing for me to do is just ask the coach what we can work on at home to improve that skill. ;)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back