WAG need some insight

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
Sounds like a good plan for her, I think. Will some of her school friends be at this new gym too?

I think some of her friends go to that gym, but they take rec classes. She doesn't know any of the team girls, but she's ok with thta.

I just want to add that it is very narrow minded of your current gym to not allow girls to switch programs if they are outgrowing or want to switch from the current program they are in. Too bad for them as it looks like they may lose out if you switch gyms!!

It is and what makes me sad is they have a banquet for their "team" girls and boys, they are always posting pictures on instagram of the team girls...I just feel like Xcel at our gym is 2nd class. We are not a part of the booster club (and they don't want us to be) we have separate Christmas parties, etc. I'm not sure why its treated like this...our Xcel program at the gym is very good.

It also depends what her personal goals are. Does she want to do JO because her friends are, or because she wants to go collegiate one day? The Xcel program is growing leaps and bounds. If she has no desire to continue gymnastics after high school, then Xcel is a great place to be.

She said when she first started gymnastics she would see the team girls and always tell herself she would be there one day. She wants to do gymnastics in college, but honestly we take things one day at a time with her. She has a medical condition that is progressive (although, she has been doing very very good this last year).

This makes me sad for the girls who are late bloomers in the sport. :(
I agree that this is so sad and unfair. I started gymnastics/ was accepted onto JO team at age 12. I guess I got lucky because according to most gyms now that is ancient. I can't imagine not getting the chance to compete the track I am on just because of age...

Our gym has been 100% Xcel for the last 4-5 years when we lost our JO coach. Our gymnastics program has been completely rebuilt and is exceedingly successful. This past season, my DD switched to L6; she is the only JO in the gym, although there will surely be several more next season. We are hopeful that she will be able compete in college as a vaulter. She is also 11 years old.
In the past, I have heard the condescending attitudes at meets in regard to Xcel, and many gyms in our area have really small Xcel teams. I like that our gym is different.
Best of luck to your daughter in whatever she chooses. :)

I don't understand why the girls in xcel are treated differently than team when they are team too. At our gym, there are girls who have moved from Xcel to JO. For instance, we had a girl from bronze start 3 with my daughter last year. And this year, there are several repeating 4 but they were given the option to move to xcel. I would talk to your gym first to see if it's an option at all, if not, move on to the one that will give her JO opportunity.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back