Parents Nervous...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

flipflopsalto

Coach
Proud Parent
DD has her very first meet this weekend, I am so nervous! I was a competitive gymnast for a very long time and was rarely nervous. DD is a happy go lucky child and nothing seems to bother her, so the nerves are all mine and all new! Please tell me I am not the only one!

Meets drive me insane because I have no control over the outcome, so I fret over whether DD will accomplish whatever her goals are for that meet. They take forever, so you get little relief. I do relax a bit when beam is over, though DD's preferred rotation order is for beam to be last (she says she's more warmed up/mentally ready/whatever by the last rotation). I usually go take a walk during warm ups.

During the Olympics when they showed Aly's parents in the stands writhing this way and that, I was thinking I'd have to get some Xanax or Valium if I were in their position. I do know of a former Olympic gymnast whose mother couldn't stand to be inside the arena and waited outside, getting updates via cell phone.

I'm with you! Meets terrify me, far more as a parent then ever as a competitor.

DD is fine, gets on with the job at hand. I think I'd quite happily wait outside, but DD would be gutted if I didn't watch. All I need is for her to come out smiling, however she does.

Good luck to your DD!

I too get nervous at meets....The aftermath of a 'poor' meet just kills me! My girls are so crushed when they do not perform to thier expectations. Funny thing is both my girls really never had a poor meet!

Is it frowned upon to sneak a few shots during the course of the meet?

LOL ollie! I have often thought that they need to serve drinks at meets! Count me in as getting so nervous for my dd at meets that I can barely stand watching. My friend has to leave the viewing area during her girls' beam routines. I am fast approaching that stage! My dd gets a bit nervous too, but she hides it well and seems fine once the meet gets going. I'm like that too when I have to perform - whether it's public speaking or running a race. I think watching is harder!

I only have one year under my belt, so I'm nervous about our meet this weekend too. Bella really struggles with beam and the dance on floor so I'm expecting no 9s, unless she rocks bars. So yeah....butterflies in my tummy too!

If we could sell alcohol at meets, booster clubs would never want for anything. The girls could travel to all of their meets in chaufer-driven limos with all of the profits we'd make! And I'd be first in line at the bar at every meet...

So glad to know my nervousness doesn't make me a Blind Crazy Gym Mom. DD is so frustrated with me because I get so excited at meets that I almost always lose focus while filming her and end up with 1/2 a routine and 1/2 a great view of the gym floor or ceiling. Or the camera sways with her flows (in particular on bars). Aly's parents were my heroes at the Olympics -- only thing is apparently the nervousness may never end. And I get nervous seeing any girl on beam -- they all work so hard that I hate to see anyone fall.

My dd has her first L6 meet this weekend and I'm also excited and nervous. She's really struggling with her BWO on beam, so I'm crossing my fingers she makes it.

vagymmomma - get a tripod or uni-pod for the camera. It will drastically improve your videos. I did the first couple of meets w/o one and the difference was huge when I started using it.

First meet for my girls this weekend too...and I am nervous. Let me tell you, we ALWAYS go out to eat after meets at a place that serves liquor. I asked about getting flasks made up in our team colors since there is no bar at gymnastics meets, but that was frowned upon. ;)

I used to freak out, and not just for my dd, but for her team mates, not breathing for whole routines, lol.
Now I just take photos and chat to my friends, keeps me removed from it, so I don't feel for the kids the same (I tend in all situations to physically feel others discomfort/pain etc). But I'm sure if I really watched I'd be stressing for every kid there (actually it's not even just my kids and their team mates, I used to stress for complete strangers, lol, I just imagine how badly these kids want to do their best and when they have a fall etc it just breaks my heart).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back