New Buckle Grips

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I've recently moved gyms, and I learned a lot of new things in my first week! One of the things I found out, was that my grips were way too small! I wore size 0, and I found out that I should be wearing size 1. So I went home that day and ordered size 1 buckle grips, and they came already! I can't try them on yet (no wrist bands at home), but I was wondering a few things.

Are buckle grips better than velcro? Personally, I like velcro, until they get so old that the velcro doesn't work any more! Also, the velcro is hard to pull tight. My velcro grips were so old that I had to use rubber bands to hold my grips together.

Will it be hard to get used to buckle grips? I heard that they kind of bangle around when you are on the bars. Does it bother you?

It's been about two years since I've had to break in grips. Any ideas?

Thanks!
-Lauren

I used Velcro grips until right before my level 7 season in December. I got new ones because i like tight grips and the Velcro wasn't working anymore. The buckle grips i got i could make tighter. And so you know i don't think that buckle grips jingle around when you're on the bar, well if they do i don't notice anyway.

An easy way to break in grips is to do giants. Also English bulldog grips are already really bendable (well if you have them anyway) so it's a lot easier to break them in. One of my coaches just has us do gymnastics if we get new grips, according to her you can break in grips in one day. Breaking in grips isn't hard. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I, too, think that breaking them in isn't that big a deal. Put them on and do what you're comfortable doing, depending on how the grip feels. A lot of it is a mental issue though, just the expectation that it's different. Actually, it probably is different, but not necessarily less "grippy".

At least that's what it was like for me. This past year I went from Reisport, to Jaeger (which you probably don't have in the US) to Bailie Buckles (my definite Favs). Chose Buckles for the tightness, too. My Velcros just didn't feel secure anymore. Still have them (with rubberband) as back ups, though).

While you're at it though, it might be worthwhile to get a second pair, just in case anything ever happens to the first.

I think buckle grips are better. Velcro can come undone. After a meet experience like that a looong time ago, my coaches just required everyone getting new grips to get only buckle. I don't think you'll have too much of a hard time getting used to that aspect, depending on the kind of leather and how it compares to the old kind you had, breaking them in might feel different. Just wear them for the warm up turns, some swings, etc...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back