Parents new gym style good or bad?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

ivhose

Proud Parent
Reaction score
We just moved to a new state in a city with a limited number of good gyms. We joined one and it turned out to be wrong choice; my daughter had to deal with bullying and so unhappy she was getting sick.

We have left this gym and she is happier now. But we are trying to find a new gym in a city where we don't know the politics or reputations? So all we have are scores.

Problem: Where we live there seems to be only two gyms that score well in premier meets and we just left one of them...the other is in high demand so it is hard to get in? We are in a bind!

We have been looking at other gyms and she found one where the kids are welcoming and focused on the type of training she prefes...but the team scores aren't great? Nor are there many girls at the higher levels even though the gym has been around for awhile? We are trying to figure out why girls don't do well and why aren't there many gymnasts there?

We realized that these particular coaches train her in the "russian" style or at least in the methods that her first coach (russian) used...the coaches are strict but aren't rough and the girls that are there seem happy. The trainers focus more time on conditioning rather than skills. The only one concern I have is that they do limited spotting.

My dd likes the gym and coaching style but we are looking for stability and worry about why this gym doesn't have many high level gymnasts?

Can anyone share any ideas why one gym would produce better scores than the other based on style of training?

Is there a "better" style of training at certain levels?

My dd is level 6.

your questions really can't be answered because the questions are based in ambiguity and vagueness. there's just not enough to go on. PM if you would like.:)

ivyhose, since you're new, I want to make sure you know that dunno is a great resource for this kind of thing and he knows EVERYONE. PM him, give him the name of the gym you're considering, the names of the coaches, etc. He will be very helpful. Good luck with your gym search!

I don't think there a good or bad way, it is more based on your gymnast. One coaching style maybe great for one gymnast and bad for another.

Thanks. My dd is trying out the gym that she feels the most comfortable. It is run by a russian coach who is VERY strict. But that seems to appeal to her?! He is very knowledgeable but can't communicate well with girls. So we are going to give it a try - crossing my fingers.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back