Parents not understanding?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
The thing is its not like we hold a gun to their heads. David Beckham spent all his childhood kicking a ball about - is he or his parents besmirched ? No he is lauded as a fine example of a sports professional ( possibly with a dodgy taste in women).

We had a competition today which involved spending from 8.30 til 5 locked in purgatory (okay a mankey old gym on hard benches) - what the first thing she does when she gets home ? Yep out comes the matt and floor beam and she is "tweaking" her routines for the next time.

Many of DD's non gym friends were so impressed with what she could do on the monkey bars at school that they signed up for rec classes! :) My friends and casual acquaintances are also impressed with her - they are amazed by her routines that I post on Facebook, for example. I have never had negative comments about the time she spends in gym. I guess most people don't see it - they don't know all the hours she trains, they just see the Friday evening and Saturday morning sessions when they interfere with some other event. There are times we have missed gym for an important school events or something - unless there's an imminent competition, missing gym isn't that big a deal.

This coming year is the one where I am most likely to get judgment - that's because in early May DD has a placement exam to get into secondary school and it's important for her to average at least 90% to get to the school she wants. This is going to take a lot of work, and I know that extra tutoring is going to clash with gym. Her coach understands completely - she has kids too, she knows the importance of this exam. But it has started already, the assumptions and judgment. My mum, who I normally get along wonderfully with, has started to comment about her cutting down on gym this coming year. Yes, she will probably have to cut a day, but that's my call (and DH's obviously), not hers!

I have been reading this thread to DH and he has rounded on me for using Mr Beckham as my example - I am now obliged to post a correction

According to Mr Margo, " a dedicated sportsman like Jonny Wilkinson" and he has said I should post a picture to proove my point and to appeal to the ladies - so here is a picture of him with a lovely ice cream, yummy ;)

Jonny-Wilkinson.jpg

I'll elaborate.

Thank you Margo for the picture of the very delicious looking ice-cream. It sure looks very tasty :p

Lol! That ice cream was very delicious looking! Thank you for posting that, Margo! Def brightened my rainy morning!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back