Parents Obsessed with gym????

• Thread starter Thread starter lilgymmie7
  • Start date Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
L

lilgymmie7

Okay, I wasn't going to post until I had an epiphany... How many parents out there have gymnasts young/old/does it really matter who do not STOP flipping from the time they wake up until the time they go to bed?

DD had become some what milder before moving to her new gym. Her new gym really 'awakened' her love for this stuff again. That is both good and bad. I'm excited that she is really loving it, really. But she is constantly twirling, flipping, etc.
I am amazed at how much her form has improved overall however. It seems like something is beginning to click.

My dd is always flipping! On another link I had told the story that our pastor in a sermon said "there are somethings you can always count on like Bella cartwheeling into a room instead of walking" I knew then my dd had it bad. Also dd is a big sleep walker and sometimes she does gymnastic movements(not flips) in her sleep and occasionally when shes sleep walking she will say come on were moving to vault lol.

I'm right there with ya! My dd is obsessed. I swear she would live at the gym if I let her. I think it is hilarious. She can't just walk anywhere. Run, run, leap and hold and turn and chassé and arabesque etc -- you get what I mean. Something to that effect everywhere she goes. I have a strict rule against flipping too much in the house as we have a small house and she is just a L4 and I don't want her killing herself, but she does back walkovers down the hallway on the way to her room and can't walk three or more steps without stopping for a handstand. She also really enjoys the conditioning part of gymnastics so she made me put a chin up bar in her doorway and I continuously find her doing conditioning drills in front of the tv or in her room. She's working really hard right now on inverting her splits and holding her handstands so that seems to be the big at home activity right now.

I love watching her passion for the sport grow and her dedication at the young age of 6 shocks me. I can't wait to watch her grow and learn and turn her dreams into reality :)

I have to get on to my daughter about how many back and front walkovers she does just hanging around at home. I worry about her back and also the fact that our floor is not "sprung" here at home and can be hard on her wrists.

I have to get on to my daughter about how many back and front walkovers she does just hanging around at home. I worry about her back and also the fact that our floor is not "sprung" here at home and can be hard on her wrists.

Ah, yes... if the world was one big spring floor, my daughter would be truly happy...
Her twin sister will only wear skirts, skorts, and dresses, but Kathy hates to wear anything other than pants made out of some sort of stretchy material. When trying on clothes, she will do splits in the dressing room. If she can't do a split in it, she doesn't want to buy it!

Ah, yes... if the world was one big spring floor, my daughter would be truly happy...
Her twin sister will only wear skirts, skorts, and dresses, but Kathy hates to wear anything other than pants made out of some sort of stretchy material. When trying on clothes, she will do splits in the dressing room. If she can't do a split in it, she doesn't want to buy it!

LOL!!!!

I have 4 girls that do gymnastics and they are constantly stretching, conditioning or walkover-ing at home. You would think at some point in would wear off but my oldest is a L9 and still at it! In fact, both of my team girls had fractured feet, and when they would take their boot off at home they would walk on their hands to get around the house, instead of putting the boot back on!!!

Oh, can I relate....my daughter is currently icing her foot because she banged into a wall doing an aerial of some sort in the living room...working on a floor routine she won't need for over a year!!

Oh, can I relate....my daughter is currently icing her foot because she banged into a wall doing an aerial of some sort in the living room...working on a floor routine she won't need for over a year!!
Ouch! I just couldn't like this Lovofu. I am sending a big HUG instead!! I hope she is okay. But man, DD is just like Sohia in that she takes so MANY risks! Do you think we should bubble wrap them?

My DD drives me crazy. I had to stop her right before she did a handstand in Cracker Barrel. I could see it in her eyes and then saw the hands go up. You would think they would be tired after 4 days a week, but oh no I think it gives them more energy.

Ok, reading this thread I’m feeling kind of like the “mean mom” because I don’t let our daughter tumble outside of the gym. I think some of it is that she is currently training L9/L10 and I have nightmares of a poorly landed double back on my yoga mats or something. So I just draw the line at tumbling in the house. My MIL actually had a sign made for the patio around their pool “This is a pool. We swim in it. It is a NOT a foam pit!” She really [mostly I think] did this as a joke but in fairness I actually had a patient in the past who ended up with a retroperitoneal bleed from an attempt at impressing their kids with their amazing front flip which turned into a front flop. I may have to borrow that sign before any of our daughter’s pool parties this summer.

my dd is a streatching geek. She sits in straddles and splits watching tv. Or in some other twisted position don't know how she does it but it is making her more flexable. i think the coaches told her to flex at home more and now I can't stop her. She was upsidedown and twisted the other day I took one look at her and said you can't be comfortable and she said of course I am. LOL I don't really let her do big skills at home mostly conditioning like chin ups, stretching, and dance moves on our practice beam thats about it

Our DD doesn't walk into a room, she does cartwheels into it. When she stands up to leave a room, she puts in handstands or maybe a back walkover. Drives my husband crazy! I have encouraged stretching but we have told her that she is not allowed to do back handsprings at home.

Ok, reading this thread I’m feeling kind of like the “mean mom” because I don’t let our daughter tumble outside of the gym. I think some of it is that she is currently training L9/L10 and I have nightmares of a poorly landed double back on my yoga mats or something. So I just draw the line at tumbling in the house. My MIL actually had a sign made for the patio around their pool “This is a pool. We swim in it. It is a NOT a foam pit!” She really [mostly I think] did this as a joke but in fairness I actually had a patient in the past who ended up with a retroperitoneal bleed from an attempt at impressing their kids with their amazing front flip which turned into a front flop. I may have to borrow that sign before any of our daughter’s pool parties this summer.

Smart mom!

Home gymnastics, beyond handstands and conditioning, is asking for trouble. Some of the stuff you see on youtube is down lunacy. Kids with high beams and bars doing bhs and giants AT HOME!!!! LOONEY TOON parents, kids tumbling on furniture etc, EEK! My furniture is not a piece of equipment, sit on it, sleep on it, but woe betide you if you flick on it!!!

Both my girls were totally obsessed with gym from about 5-8 and then it chilled down a lot. Even now they might still bust out a cartwheel, but not in the house! Good for them to love gym, bad idea to let it go so far they endanger themselves.

Smart mom!

Home gymnastics, beyond handstands and conditioning, is asking for trouble. Some of the stuff you see on youtube is down lunacy. Kids with high beams and bars doing bhs and giants AT HOME!!!! LOONEY TOON parents, kids tumbling on furniture etc, EEK! My furniture is not a piece of equipment, sit on it, sleep on it, but woe betide you if you flick on it!!!

Both my girls were totally obsessed with gym from about 5-8 and then it chilled down a lot. Even now they might still bust out a cartwheel, but not in the house! Good for them to love gym, bad idea to let it go so far they endanger themselves.

We have no sort of equipment at home except a mat in the playroom. DD would love to have a trampoline but my husband (who is a doctor) says absolutely not!! My feeling is that we are not coaches and we don't want her to develop bad habits or hurt herself. I will say that practicing cartwheels on a strip of our area rug seems to have helped with doing them on the beam. :-)

DD has to be always moving and that often involves handstands and cartwheels or leaps in the grocery store, but she's not obsessed with gymnastics. She rarely talks about gym at home or with any of her friends. She's had friends spend the night from gym and they want to play gymnastics and she hates that. She wants to go upstairs and play barbies or something. We went to dinner with a friend of mine last night and he asked her about gymnastics and what she was doing, was it fun etc and her response was, "I don't like to talk about it." That's the same response I always get from her too. So I would say no, she's not obsessed with gymnastics. I would be worried that she doesn't want to talk about it or have me ask her any questions, but she's like that with everything. She won't answer questions about dance or her schoolwork either. She will volunteer small bits of information from time to time, but she hates to be asked about it, it has to be on her terms. She's a stubborn little girl to say the least. I figure she spends so much time there that maybe she just wants to leave it there. I know when I get home from work I often don't want to talk about it either. She'll share if something fun or new happens, but she likes to be the one to tell and not be asked.

We have no sort of equipment at home except a mat in the playroom. DD would love to have a trampoline but my husband (who is a doctor) says absolutely not!! My feeling is that we are not coaches and we don't want her to develop bad habits or hurt herself. I will say that practicing cartwheels on a strip of our area rug seems to have helped with doing them on the beam. :-)

I'm in total agreement with your hubby! Ever talk to an ER doctor or nurse? Don't think I've ever met one that would let their kids have a trampoline at home.

good husband...great dad!:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back