WAG Odd pain

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

littlegirlsdream

Proud Parent
Ok DD has a new pain and I can't imagine what the problem might be. She says her tailbone hurts. It hurts when she does back bends, stands in one position too long or walks. Running feels fine but punching the floor or board hurts, splits feels fine but pike stretch hurts. Usually we ice the aches and pains and take Motrin but this seems unusual. Has anyone else experienced this?

Perhaps it is muscular. Many, many muscles have attachment points on the tailbone. (over 30-ish) Some of these muscles stablize the various joints of the pelvis and lower back, while others attach to the legs at the hip area. The motions you are describing seem to involve muscle stabilization and shock absorption of the pelvis/lower back (walking, standing for long periods, punching the floor/board, ) or involve (tight?) muscles that might be pulling on the attachment point of the tailbone (pike stretching) Does one split feel fine, but another type hurt? Did she have a recent injury that could be the culprit?

Last edited:
If this was caused by a minor impact to her tailbone, and her pain after the first five days is trending downward, she's probably just bruised it. Take her to a "childcentric" ortho if her pain popped up out of the blue, or if the pain level remains as it is now.

Perhaps it is muscular. Many, many muscles have attachment points on the tailbone. (over 30-ish) Some of these muscles stablize the various joints of the pelvis and lower back, while others attach to the legs at the hip area. The motions you are describing seem to involve muscle stabilization and shock absorption of the pelvis/lower back (walking, standing for long periods, punching the floor/board, ) or involve (tight?) muscles that might be pulling on the attachment point of the tailbone (pike stretching) Does one split feel fine, but another type hurt? Did she have a recent injury that could be the culprit?

No injury, she never hit it or landed on it. Right and left splits feels fine, middle feels ok. Backbends or backwalkovers hurt the most. I will of course take her to the Dr if it continues but I like to give a little bit usually first because there are a ton of minor things we can handle. The tailbone pain seems odd considering there was never anything that initiated it.

What you're saying is the pain came about for no apparent reason. It sounds like something she's doing in the gym doesn't agree with her body. It would be best to keep her out of the gym until she see's the doctor.

Maybe the key is the backbends/back walkovers? Has she been dong more of them than usual lately? Perhaps she strained some of the musculature close to her spine while doing them.

I agree with the others- it might be good for her to take it easy for a few days, and certainly avoid the actions that make the pain come on. If it has been more than a few days since the pain started. If there isn't improvement, perhaps a visit to the doctor might be a good thing to do.

I hope she feels better soon!

sounds like referred pain. if it's not gone by the week end take her in.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back