Parents Off on camp & I'm the one feeling nervous!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

xrachx

Coach
Proud Parent
DD is off to gymnastics residential on Sunday for the week. This is her first real time away from home (apart from the odd sleepover at friends), and at nearly 11, she felt she was ready.

But as it's now getting closer, I just keep thinking about the fact she's going on her own, won't know anyone there, I'm 2 hours away if anything happens, and sods law is she'll end up hurting herself on the first day!

Amusingly, she doesn't seem worried at all, merely saying she's bound to make friends when she gets there and it'll be lots of fun. Her coaches think it's an amazing opportunity for her and are looking forward to seeing what she's like when she returns, so she's got a real motivation to work hard.

I know I shouldn't worry, but I can't help it. Dread to think how I'll be when I actually have to drop her off there! Any words of wisdom to help get me through this next week are gratefully appreciated :)

I don't have experience with a gymnastics camp, but DDs have been going to a three week sports camp since they were 8 & 10. It was hard for me to be apart from them that long, and I did worry they would hurt themselves (there was high wire type circus, horseback riding, and jet skiing). In the end I let their excitement carry me over, and it has been absolutely the best experience of their lives. I know it's hard, but it's worth it momma!

You will survive. My mom and I were talking today about the first time I went more than 5 hours away from home. I went to Florida from Michigan for a summer job (at the Mouse's House) and was really really far away for the first time at nineteen. It was an incredible summer and we still laugh about my adventures. She will have a great time and you will worry. Later you will listen to her stories over and over and in ten years you will laugh about it.

Well she's there, and I needn't have worried it would seem. Luckily I got to chat to one of the other mums while we were signing in, her DD didn't know anyone else there either and had only been doing gymnastics for 6 months, so it eased my worries that my DD would be the odd one out, both skillwise and not knowing anyone.

Just got to hope everything goes ok for her and I find something to fill the time til I get to see her in the open training session on Friday afternoon :)

I'm sure she will have a great time.
Do you not have school camps in the US? Here we have school camps in years 5 and 6. (some schools even earlier)
And if they do band, band camp (just 1 or 2 nights) from year 3.

In my area (south west UK), it's generally only a 5 night camp at the end of year 6 (which she'll go on in June). Otherwise away trips for more than 2 nights are optional from year 7 upwards.

Out of her class of 30 at school going on camp in June, only about 3 have been away from home for more than a night.
Personally, I see the benefit of going on camps from a younger age as it allows them to develop confidence and independence. It's just a shame it's not common place here in the UK...

If she has gone to Rushmoor she will have a fabulous time. The food is awesome and they do lots of fun games and a little show at the end that they make up routines for . You can go and watch that . I think it was on the Thurs night but it is years since my dd went. She was 8 the first time she went and didn't know a soul.

Yes she's at Rushmoor :)
We've been told we're allowed to watch the final sessions on Friday afternoon, so we get a chance to see what they've been working on.

Luckily in her dorm (the older girls), there are only 10 of them and several hadn't been before and didn't know anyone going either, so hopefully they'll stick together!

If the weather is hot enough the pool is amazing. She will have a great time. The people are so nice.

it is freezing even in the summer though. Don't be too sad! it used to have big slides too but I think they were taken away.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back