WAG Off to the Gymnix-Montreal press conference

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Managed to get my self a seat at the podium training and press conference this afternoon.

The Romanians, Aussies and Russuans have sent some great gymnasts.Plus Canada has many girls who I am excited to see in action.

Will report back later.

Cant wait to hear about it!!! We fly out tomorrow at 730am and will be there in the afternoon. So excited that DD is getting to go and experience this type of event.:)

You're here!! We just got back to the hotel from dd's practice session! It went very well, and she is confident, which is the main thing. But bored waiting on her teammates to arrive, lol. Will we see you at all this weekend? :)

OH and dd was THRILLED that Dominique Pegg was at training coaching some little Aspires!

Awesome, I would have loved to attend the press conference! We'll be driving there for Sunday's competition only as I have other commitments on Saturday - I'm excited to see what Russia has in store this year, I was very impressed with their juniors' bars last year! Enjoy your weekend everyone :)

I should be back here for Sunday. Will post more later, but the podium training is going very well. We should be seeing some great gymnastics.

That's awesome! Being a newbie to this sport It's so interesting reading threads from the peeps that are well known & well involved in gymnastics! Can't wait for your updates!!!

Australians? It would be nice if they were there, but I'm not sure this is so. You're very welcome to correct me! :)
You are correct. Originally they were sending a junior and senior team. Even listed all their names on the roster until a few days back. But no Aussies in the end . Disappointing.

Notes-

Well interesting, I am the press, as in the only one to show up. Lucky me, but how do International meets attract press? What ideas do folk have for pulling in the people that can promote meets in the press and in the world of gymnastics?

Gymnasts here from Russia, Roumania, Belgium, Peru, Finland, France, Japan and Jamaica. Many International level Canadians as well. Junior and senior International Elite level competitions will be held over the next three days. No Brits or US girls here this year.

The Gymnix meet also has competition from about L 6- L10, with some American clubs attending. All the international and National events are held on a podium and for all other levels they have the floor on a podium. It is a great meet showcasing great gymnastics in a beautiful city. Shouldn't be that hard to sell eh??

So onto the gymnastics!

Margg, I just watched the goody bags go by, pretty cute.

Shallon Olsen is getting pretty tall, she is a little untidy, hopefully her coach has a plan for that. Her new floor routine is pretty catchy.

Heaven Latimer has a killer tumbling line on beam. BHS BHS layout full. Solid too. Heavenly I guess.

The Russian Juniors look great on floor. Cute and some lovely dance. Very pretty training leos, blue/white and SPARKLY.

Big tumbling from Sidney Townsend, tiny girl with tons of power.

A Belgian girl is trying to scare me to death with her baille, she has crashed three times, not doing my heart any good at all. Hoping it's just warm up nerves. In fact the whole teams bar warm up is gulp worthy!

The Japanese girls are he only ones not wearing a team training leos. They are continuing the theme of scary bar warm ups.

The tiny Russians are flipping tucked tsuks on vault, awfully close too. Interesting range of vaults at this level. Shallon Olsen competes a near perfect double twisting yurchenko.

Well that's all I've got. Hoping to go back for the finals on Sunday.

Last edited:
You are correct. Originally they were sending a junior and senior team. Even listed all their names on the roster until a few days back. But no Aussies in the end . Disappointing.

Yes, disappointing. :-( However, at the moment, I think international competition isn't the focus of Australian gymnastics. Consolidation and building towards the future is, for now.

Yes, disappointing. :-( However, at the moment, I think international competition isn't the focus of Australian gymnastics. Consolidation and building towards the future is, for now.

Well this is a good lesson about putting all your eggs in one basket... Pinning your hopes on one gymnast and having the team fail to qualify really hurts your funding opportunities. The Aussie girls will probably travel less this quad.

Aussies, Has Peggy been replaced or is she still leading Australia gymnastics? Her position was posted a while back. Bog, did the girls say anything or were they just there at tables? So cool you got to watch training.

Peggy is still in the position. I am not sure that it is permanent though. I believe her contract was extended for 6 months. It's a case of wait and see for all of us - her included, I am sure! It really would be helpful to have it all settled.

Aussies, Has Peggy been replaced or is she still leading Australia gymnastics? Her position was posted a while back. Bog, did the girls say anything or were they just there at tables? So cool you got to watch training.

The press conference didn't really happen as I was the only one. I sat with the organiser and the federation people and talked with them about the meet and about gym. Was perfectly fine.

If I just stand in the gym and yell "hey Bogwoppit!" will you respond? :)

Adding, I met someone today who I had previously only "known" from Youtube. I am hoping to meet someone else from CB tomorrow!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back