Parents oh the drama-changing gyms

• Thread starter Thread starter medic3188
  • Start date Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
M

medic3188

So my dd has been at her gym since we moved 20 months ago. She has competed two full seasons. The issue is that I have to rely on others to take her to practice. So now, I can no longer do that, so I need practice to start at 5:30. Her gym does not offer that, so we tried another gym yesterday.

She loved it. It has a lower ratio of coach to kids, the gym has better equiptment, the coach seems nice and the girls are closer to her age. The girls greeted her with kindness and hugs. So basically, we are excited. I was gonna have her work out once a week until states is over next month. Well Ambie decided she wants to also go to open gym on fri and sat also. Everything was great. I was gonna talk to her old coach monday.

Her BFF went to practice, ambie had a fields trip and didnt go. Her coach asked the BFF where is ambie and she replies, she moved to another gym. So at 930pm I had to call the coach to explain.

The coach made a few negative comments about the gym, that I knew were not true...way too much drama..my gymmie is happy that is all that matters.

Moving gyms is tough, but sometimes it must be done. If you can't get her to gym on time, what else are you to do? I hate the negative comments part. I got the same thing. I understand they don't want to lose girls, but it is part of gym life sometimes and there is no need to be negative about it.

Good luck to Amber at her new gym! I hope it all works out great!

Welll that is good news all around. Don't you just love the way kids hand over information so easily, I am forever telling my youngest that she needs to learn to keep family business at home! I am sure Amber will thrive in the new gym and her old coach will get over it!

Sounds like trying the new gym due to practice times...was meant to be!!! It was a change for the better in more ways then one. Best wishes to Amber at her new gym. Sounds like a great fit for her :)

Welll that is good news all around. Don't you just love the way kids hand over information so easily, I am forever telling my youngest that she needs to learn to keep family business at home! I am sure Amber will thrive in the new gym and her old coach will get over it!

ha ha I used to teach 5 year olds at Primary School. I just cannot repeat the kinds of family stuff they used to tell me at school. It is funniest when the parents come to parents evening and all you can think is 'I know what you do at home!'

Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately) I now teach 7 year olds and they don't blurt out so many secrets.

I think every one feels a bit guilty when changing Gyms (or any thing like that) but we have to do what is best for our families and our children. It looks like you have found a great fit - know that you are making the right decision and good luck

ha ha I used to teach 5 year olds at Primary School. I just cannot repeat the kinds of family stuff they used to tell me at school. It is funniest when the parents come to parents evening and all you can think is 'I know what you do at home!'

NOw that's funny, I used to wonder if the teachers and coaches knew more about me then they were telling. I always thought they did:) I've also had to have discussions about what's family and what's public. My dd told everyone she was looking at new gyms. Never mind that we said we'd keep it quiet until a decision had been made. But alas! she even offered to give her team leotard to a soon to be former teammate before we'd even told the coach.

SOunds like Amber is going into a very welcoming enviornment and she's happy that's the very best! what can you do? IF the gym can't fit your needs it can't fit your needs.

Good luck at the new gym. It sounds like she will fit in great there. I'm sorry that her teammate ratted you out before you could get a chance to notify the gym personally (totally know about that, happened to us last year), hopefully she didn't mean any harm by it and didn't realize that she was ratting you out.

Good luck to her at the new gym. I know it's hard for coaches not to take it personally, but sometimes it's really not about them!

It sounds like it was a good move. DD is happy and excited - AND most importantly, it fit's into YOUR schedule. (decreasing parental stress can only be a good thing). All good stuff.

This whole inter-gym resentment and "drama" I've been reading about on CB, really says something about the maturity level of some coaches. I guess I just don't get it.

We recently had a girl leave our gym for another almost the same reasons you mentioned - Just too long of a commute (hour each way as I recall.) She was with the gym for a good five years and a great competition athlete.

The L5 coaches hosted (and paid for) a good-bye/good luck party for her and her team members. Lots of tears and hugs of course, some playful ribbing, but still a very positive departure.

My best to Amber.

As for the old coach... I'm sure she'll survive.

Sounds like a great fit for both you and your DD. I'm sure changing gyms is hard enough without having someone else let the cat out of the bag and then having to explain. Just do what feels right and you can't go wrong!! Best of luck at the new gym!!

thanks for the replys. I had a meeting today with the old coach, for her end of the season evaluation. She said that she has come so far ....and then said that she is sad to see her go...and then said what she needs to work on. Then I asked if she were staying where would she be next year and she saysI would keep her as a three for the fall. Her reasoning..not skills..no because she has not been 1-3 on the all around. Now others she moved up havent either..I do not see any reason to hold a kid back for 1-3 on the podium. What ever I am done..two weeks until states.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back