Parents Ok, I have 2 gymnasts

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

3rd_time_around

Proud Parent
Judge
Reaction score
I have always focused on my older dd when it comes to gymnastics, but I do have another dd who is also a gymnast. I have been sort of humoring her and letting her be on team because she wants to be, and she has always had much more trouble learning and performing than her sister. But, she is very graceful and flexible, so I haven't been giving her enough credit. Last year, she won vault at Level 4 state--her older sister has never been a state champion!

This year younger dd is a prep-op level 2, mainly because of the costs to be on level 5 and have a level 9 sister. Just can't swing it. Anyway, long ramble short, I am posting her floor routine from this past weekend because it truly is the best she's ever done. Her landings were all clean, and her dance much improved and less stumbly than in the past. She scored a 9.3, and placed 3rd. (Note: watch her bhs-bhs pass. A year ago she could barely do a single!)

YouTube - Donna's prep-op 2 floor routine

Congrats to her. That ROBHS pass was very nice!! I watch MANY of them since my DD struggles with that skill so much and your DD looks beautiful doing it! Good for her for doing such a great routine! It will be interesting to see how she grows in her sport as she goes along. Sometimes those kids who take longer to learn things end up doing better than the ones who pick up things super quick. The lesson of perseverence is a really good one...and it often pays off! You might have to start saving up those pennies for a new superstar in your family before long! My younger DD also struggles more than my older DD. It takes her a LONG time to learn new skills, particularly on bars, but when she gets them, she has straight legs and pointed toes right away because she has been spotted through them for so long!! While others who may have learned the skills more quickly might struggle more with form. It's all just so interesting to me.
Very happy for your daughter!

She looked very elegant! You may have to take out a loan soon to pay for both girls!! lol !! Watch out older DD !!!

She did great!! I think my daughter would love to do prep-op instead of compulsories! She has very nice tumbling! Great little dancer, too! Congrats to her! Glad you finally came clean with us that you have another gymnast, she was great to watch. LOL. :D

WOW!!! She was beautiful to watch! So glad you showed her to us! Her tumbling and form is impeccable... I hope you continue to showcase her too!

Lovely! She moves like a dancer! My DD may end up doing prep op next year. I have mixed feelings about it. It seems like most of the meets we go to have very few prep ops, so our girls end up mostly competing against each other, and I don't know that it does a lot for team morale. On the other hand, I've been hearing more and more "buzz" about prep op on this site, so maybe it is becoming more popular and it will be easier to find meets with a prep op presence.

Wow! She's a beautiful tumbler! Thank you for showing the video...yep, I agree, loans may be in order! lol!!

What a great routine. Wow two very talented kids, that's just awesome. You must be one proud mama :)

Loved it! Please continue your posts about both your dds. They are talented and a delight to watch!

Nice job. Very graceful and her tumbling pass looked spot on to me. Thank you so much for introducing us to your baby DD. Now you know we are all going to want to know how she is doing from now on..lol

She's really graceful and I love the floor music. Congrats to her! I enjoyed watching her and her tumbling looked solid.

What a great routine. Wow two very talented kids, that's just awesome. You must be one proud mama :)

I have a funny anecdote here. 2 years ago, younger was on Gym Stars and older was level 8. Gym STars is our state's rec competition program, don't know if everyone has it. Anyway, our gym trains Gym Stars like any other level: 1 year commitment, 2 days a week, uniforms, bags, etc. They have 5 meets a year, and the cost is super low. The meets are fun, low intensity, no one scores lower than an 8. At her last meet that year, she scored a 9.8 on floor. It was the only meet the owners came to, they were so excited. (at some gyms here, anyone can do Gym Stars. They sign up for it and it is only a 3 month max commitment. Our gym actually has try-outs).

At the end of the season banquet, they give out MVPs for each level based on average AA scores. I knew my Level 8 had earned it that year, but I didn't keep up with younger's scores because it was "just Gym Stars." Obviously some parents had, because they had a trophy for Gym Stars MVP. The surprise of my year: Younger dd won MVP as well. No one else in the gym could claim 2 daughters as MVPs in one season. I was so proud, I almost cried (I think I did). Like I said, I haven't been giving her enough credit, thinking she will give it up eventually. But I may be very wrong there.... her meets are fun, because right now there is nothing at stake except her improving over the last meet, which she's been doing. My level 9's meets are stressful, because there's so much at stake. We'll see how far my prep op goes with this. Thanks for all the nice comments.

Lovely routine! It is hard with 2 in gym. I have a level 10 and 6 and find it hard to look at the younger one the way I did when we were new to the sport! By the way, she has the same floor music as my dd!

I think she looked lovely. Thanks for sharing that video with us. I think she will do well, I hope you will continue to keep us posted on her progress too !!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back