WAG "Open" level?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

Ali'sMom

Proud Parent
Reaction score
Can someone explain to me what "open" level is?
I've seen it on schedules, and in a couple weeks, we will be at a session dubbed "Level 10/open", and I'd love to know what it actually is.

Thank you!

You will see L10 and elite girls compete. It is usually where a gym will put it's stronger L10's. The session is often Saturday night and will be a crowd draw.

There aren't many elite meets in some areas so elite qualified girls can enter these along side strong level 10s. Elite routines have different requirements from Level 10 so can be an interesting mix. Often used to bump up competition experience and try out new moves before real elite meets like Classics.

Thank you!
So, in essence, my gym's L9 who is competing elite routines (she's qualified compulsory but not yet optionals) at L9 meets (and is getting dinged because of different requirements) could compete as "open", using the elite routine, and not get dinged, yes? Or would she have had to qualify elite optionals before being "Open"?)

Thank you for any info!

Thank you!
So, in essence, my gym's L9 who is competing elite routines (she's qualified compulsory but not yet optionals) at L9 meets (and is getting dinged because of different requirements) could compete as "open", using the elite routine, and not get dinged, yes? Or would she have had to qualify elite optionals before being "Open"?)

Thank you for any info!

She would still compete as a 9 because she's not a 10 or an elite...the "open" designation is for the elite competing in the pedestrian JO meet ( vs something like Classic or Championships)..

She would still compete as a 9 because she's not a 10 or an elite...the "open" designation is for the elite competing in the pedestrian JO meet ( vs something like Classic or Championships)..
Thank you!!!

Elites aren't allowed to compete in level 10 competitions(though they can petition and "drop back" to level 10 if/when they decide they no longer wish to pursue elite). Open sessions allow elites to compete against level 10's, following Level 10 rules.

Was at a meet this year that had a girl (Jr elite last year) compete as a 10. This was not an Open session, this was a regular meet, regular level 10 session. I see that this and girl was at an elite testing session just 3 weeks after competing as a 10. How is this allowable? If she was a Jr elite last year, and is a Jr elite again this year, how is it acceptable to compete in January as a regular level 10 in between her elite competitions?

Was at a meet this year that had a girl (Jr elite last year) compete as a 10. This was not an Open session, this was a regular meet, regular level 10 session. I see that this and girl was at an elite testing session just 3 weeks after competing as a 10. How is this allowable? If she was a Jr elite last year, and is a Jr elite again this year, how is it acceptable to compete in January as a regular level 10 in between her elite competitions?
A gymnast has to compete at Classic's to be considered an elite not eligible to compete at level 10 the rest of that competitive year.(not just achieve the qualifying score at a qualifier) This might apply to the gymnast you are talking about?

A gymnast has to compete at Classic's to be considered an elite not eligible to compete at level 10 the rest of that competitive year.(not just achieve the qualifying score at a qualifier) This might apply to the gymnast you are talking about?

The girl that I was referencing DID compete at Classics last year. And since she's at testing again this year (she didn't get the 51.50 at classics last year and needs to get the 52 at a qualifier this year as a result) I'd say that the intention is to compete there again this season. Question is, why can she compete as a regular 10 between Competing at Classics until now?

Gosh that seems unfair. Must be a loophole somewhere.

The girl that I was referencing DID compete at Classics last year. And since she's at testing again this year (she didn't get the 51.50 at classics last year and needs to get the 52 at a qualifier this year as a result) I'd say that the intention is to compete there again this season. Question is, why can she compete as a regular 10 between Competing at Classics until now?

I just looked up last years results....she did receive above the required 51.5 at classics last year.

Hmmm...only thing I can think of is that it actually was an "open" session, but was not notated correctly in the results. A gymnast could have competed classics last year, then petitioned and dropped back to 10 this year, but should not be able to compete as an elite again this year after dropping back.

An invitational can designate any level 10 session as open, I am actually not certain what the official rules are regarding that. But the athlete you speak of certainly should NOT be competing in a state meet or beyond as a level 10 this year.

Hmm, it was a small meet. Only 1 session of level 10 at all with only 30+ girls in it. So, there was not another choice for a level 10 to compete in. And the session definitely didn't say open ....just level 10

She competed as
7/22/15 - Jr elite at US Classic,
1/23/16 - level 10 (small meet, not an open session)
2/5/16 - Jr elite in an open session
2/12/16 - Jr elite qualifier

Said athlete needed to score a 51.500 at P & Gs (Championships) last year to be qualified as a Junior International Elite this year. Since you do not mention her competing in Championships, she didn't get the 51.500 required and had to re-test this competition season to earn her status for 2016.

Link Removed

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought it said above she did get the 51.5 last year...

Said athlete needed to score a 51.500 at P & Gs (Championships) last year to be qualified as a Junior International Elite this year. Since you do not mention her competing in Championships, she didn't get the 51.500 required and had to re-test this competition season to earn her status for 2016.

Link Removed

You are correct, she didn't compete at championships (I had thought scoring at classics was sufficient). That being said though, does that mean she's allowed to compete as a regular 10 between Classics and competing as elite again this season? I don't mind when girls try Elite and decide it's not for them and petition back to level 10.....but I don't feel the same when they have no intention of staying 10 but only want to compete 10 "in between" their own seasons.

That being said though, does that mean she's allowed to compete as a regular 10 between Classics and competing as elite again this season?

I honestly don't know...She's one of the few kids that is defined as an "elite" per the women's rules & policies (she has competed in a classic meet), yet per the elite qualification chart she is not an international elite as of 2016 and has to re-qualify this year. So what level is she? She's not the only athlete that competed in US Classic, but didn't qualify to P & Gs, that has competed in a fairly small level 10 invitational this year FWIW.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back