Parents Opinions plz

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I think that this coach does not seem to know how to handle 7 year olds or fear issues. What a shame. Not only is it a waste of time for gymmie to stay on beam not going for a skill, but coach is setting her up for long term fear issues/cycle. This may be the first, won't be the last :(

I think some coaches are more invested in themselves and their ego. Some of this may come down to the way they were taught as a gymnast. They don't realize that the children they work with for the most part, want to be there and want to progress. So when a child is scared they just assume the child doesn't want to do it so the natural punishment is to leave them there because you can't just get out of the things you don't want to do.
I remember when Vanessa Atler had a coaching blog (for a hot minute) and she was pretty critical of a few of her athletes who were scared of 'basic stuff' like back salto's and the flyaway. I thought her reaction to the kids fear was pretty heartless for a gymnast who struggled with the mental aspect of the sport. At the end of the day, kids are training and competing at a level that is near the maximum of their current ability and that is when gymnastics can be scary. So a 4 yo who is scared to roll forward over the bar is completely understandable just like the level six who is scared of her flyaway or the elite who is afraid of her release skill. No fear is bigger or more reasonable that the other, because each is working at their hardest skill.

Now, I'm not a coach, I'm only a dad of a daughter who's struggled with fear issues over the last couple of years. But can anybody tell me how in the world this approach can work? "You go over there and do it until you're not scared anymore?" It's not as if the coach said run a lap and she said no. To me this seems like the most illogical approach one can have. Has anybody seen this work?

yes, and this method can work with some kids. but not staying at an event for 4 hours.

as i've told you all, and i'm actually sitting here endearingly laughing at all this, the sport of gymnastics is dysfunctional. no one in their right mind would want to do it. and i've told you all that coaches that were former gymnasts and the gymnasts currently doing it are not in their right mind most of the time. very seldom a clear day for a coach. he coaches more than 1 kid.

this sport makes you crazy and brings forth emotions not found in normal rational human beings. it's gymnastics. i've told you that gymnastics is a NOUN. gymnastics doesn't care what you think or feel. gymnastics only cares that you work so hard you question why you even do the sport in the first place. lol

and when all is said and done, the athlete comes out on top. and the coach may still have hair left.

why on earth do you think approx 3 million kids play soccer? but there are only approx 200,000 gymnasts in all venues? you just can't figure some of this stuff out. or risk going crazy over why your kid...this and that. understand?

and i'm not speaking to actual abuse taking place. i'm speaking to just the normal (oxymoron) gym environments where work is done every day.

it's nuts i tell ya. lol :)

I think some coaches are more invested in themselves and their ego. Some of this may come down to the way they were taught as a gymnast. They don't realize that the children they work with for the most part, want to be there and want to progress. So when a child is scared they just assume the child doesn't want to do it so the natural punishment is to leave them there because you can't just get out of the things you don't want to do.
I remember when Vanessa Atler had a coaching blog (for a hot minute) and she was pretty critical of a few of her athletes who were scared of 'basic stuff' like back salto's and the flyaway. I thought her reaction to the kids fear was pretty heartless for a gymnast who struggled with the mental aspect of the sport. At the end of the day, kids are training and competing at a level that is near the maximum of their current ability and that is when gymnastics can be scary. So a 4 yo who is scared to roll forward over the bar is completely understandable just like the level six who is scared of her flyaway or the elite who is afraid of her release skill. No fear is bigger or more reasonable that the other, because each is working at their hardest skill.

spot on! :)

yes, and this method can work with some kids. but not staying at an event for 4 hours.

as i've told you all, and i'm actually sitting here endearingly laughing at all this, the sport of gymnastics is dysfunctional. no one in their right mind would want to do it. and i've told you all that coaches that were former gymnasts and the gymnasts currently doing it are not in their right mind most of the time. very seldom a clear day for a coach. he coaches more than 1 kid.

this sport makes you crazy and brings forth emotions not found in normal rational human beings. it's gymnastics. i've told you that gymnastics is a NOUN. gymnastics doesn't care what you think or feel. gymnastics only cares that you work so hard you question why you even do the sport in the first place. lol

and when all is said and done, the athlete comes out on top. and the coach may still have hair left.

why on earth do you think approx 3 million kids play soccer? but there are only approx 200,000 gymnasts in all venues? you just can't figure some of this stuff out. or risk going crazy over why your kid...this and that. understand?

and i'm not speaking to actual abuse taking place. i'm speaking to just the normal (oxymoron) gym environments where work is done every day.

it's nuts i tell ya. lol :)

Well, at least knowing that we are all completely nuts is a relief! :)

Reactions: sce
Its funny that you put this and soccer together. As my little one was even younger I always figured she'd move away from this and head into soccer like her big sister. I keep waiting for this to happen but shes 11 now so I think it might be a little to late. We almost got her there, then we had to go ahead and move her to a gym where she started enjoying it again....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back