Parents "Other" Activities? Looking for ideas.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

l.c.o

Proud Parent
I was talking with a fellow gym mom the other day. I was feeling a little down after DD's recent meet. It was her first at a new level and she didn't do as well as she'd hoped. She was disappointed, which as you might imagine, sort of crushed me.

So I was thinking. I'd like to get DD involved in another activity. Not to take the place of gym, or even as a back up plan..... It's just, she identifies only as a gymnast right now (she's 9). I'd like her to have something else that's much less individually competitive that lets her still be awesome even when she's not on the podium.

Do your kids do something along these lines? Any ideas? She used to do Girl Scouts and isn't interested any more. We need something that also isn't too demanding on her time. We're considering music lessons at the moment, but to be honest, I'm not sure it would be a good fit (I used to play instruments myself... DD's got some language-type issues and I think she's "Type A" enough that she might get frustrated). Help!

Thanks!

You could try swimming, drama, art classes, maybe even singing classes?? Something that maybe only takes up 1-1.5 hours a week as to not interfere with gym!

eta: I also wanted to say don't get too down after 1 meet, especially in a new level! It can take time to get used to the new routines where they are scoring well! I'd maybe finish out this season before getting her into anything else!

Good point, dynamic. It definitely was just one meet, but I figure it's not going to get much easier. :) Just starting to investigate options. Art classes might be a great thing for her, and I hadn't thought of that!

Art or creative writing are a good options. Something that will give her a way to express her feelings and succeed in a non-judged activity. I would stay away from another sport if she is "Type A".

I try to find after school activities at my kids schools that will get them involved with school, help them meet people at school, etc since they spend so much time in the gym. These activities vary throughout the year, there is a wide range of options. I am sure you could find something.

An instrument, art class, swimming lessons, dance class- just for fun (not ballet ;) ), ice skating lessons, skiing, drama/acting class, book club, pottery....... lots of things to try out there

Voice lessons, best additional activity ever:

Small time conmmitment.
While not cheap, much less expensive than gymnastics per month.
Can use skill in church, school, talent show, recital, whenever.
Can do even if your arm is in a cast or you are on crutches.
Can practice in the car (not so easy with the trombone), or really anywhere.
Kids often practice spontaneously without even thinking about thinking about it (don't have to hound them like with the violin).
Life skill (can do it until you are old and crazy, unlike gymnastics--balances things out a bit).
You can probably find them within 2 to 3 miles of your house.

My younger DD just started a volley ball class - just over 1 hour once per week. My older DD is going to try it too. Both of my girls also do an art class once per week. Older DD does school chorus too. Right now my DS does only gymnastics ; but wants to try golf.

My DD has recently mentioned wanting voice lessons. I definitely agree with trying to do something non-sport related.

While she doesn't take extra classes for it, we have just about every art and craft supply out there in our house so my daughter spends 75% of her free time creating things. She's always loved to draw, and we encourage her a lot in that. Outside of the gym, she has recently taken an interest in rock climbing, and she does dance (not ballet) another day.

While I am a huge fan of gymnastics, it sometimes can be a more individually centered sport. I know that it is technically a team sport, but while you are competing its somewhat individual.

So my second favorite sport is soccer. It is completely team oriented and it helps with endurance. I had played soccer when I was really young but eventually quit, but I started back up again in high school and played varsity my junior year (very uncommon at least where I am from). All the people I know who have done both soccer and gymnastics have excelled so far and have loved it too! I think its because gymnastics tends to make people more determined and that is a great quality to have in a soccer player. The best part is the soccer season does not overlap with gymnastics comp season. Where I am from many places have soccer in either fall (usually high school), or late spring/early summer. And whether it is a traveling team or not, they usually don't practice as often/intensely as gymnastics (like 2hrs, 2x a week or something like that) and then they have maybe one game a week.

Another thing that I am not sure there is for kids her age is diving. It correlates really well with gymnastics. I know a couple gymnasts who didn't even dive for very long and are getting scholarships or are getting recruited to schools for diving. I know this isn't for a while but if she stuck with it through high school, the diving season is in fall so that also doesn't overlap with gymnastics. I probably would have stuck with it but I chose soccer instead.

Hope this helps!

Gymnastics triumphs can be very good. These rewarding moments are spread throughout the year as new skills are learned and the dreams that drove that learning are shifted to the next level of skills. There are many valuable lessons learned along the way as these skills are accumulated, and in a way, these valued lessons are only as valuable as the price paid with hard work and tears of frustration.

Keep an eye on her and be ready to moderate with wise counsel, but I'd suggest you let her feel a bit of the pain so she has a brighter day in the future.

You don't get nothin' with nothin'.

We do music over here on top of gym...DD tried to fit in dance too but it was too much. music has allowed her a whole other peer group (other than gym) (we homeschool so that's even more important for us) and the combo of youth orchestra and gym has been busy but healthy - when she's struggling with her giants she can go work on her concerto solo piece - and if the Vivaldi isn't coming along, she can go bounce at open gym!

I would shoot for something smaller if my kids attended school, due to them needing a few moments a day to just breath!

My kids both do ballet/jazz dance and love it. Its one hour a week with an annual recital. A lot of the skills transfer well to gymnastics. :)

Not for the little ones, but in Australia competitive pole dancing is becoming quite popular. A lot of ex-gymnasts do it and find it meets a lot of their requirements for a challenge that requires both ridiculous strength and flexibility and that danger element of being upside down off the ground and holding on to the pole with some weird combination of armpit and ankle that looks like it's a magic trick. My sister does a lot of this.

Circus/aerial classes are also great for gymnasts. Silks/tissu, aerial hoop, static trapeze are all way off the ground, strength and flexibility. Effectively no dance although generally done with music, my sister is more comfortable with this because, well, dancing and her don't work well together, but pole is more of a challenge to her.
A gymnast walking in to an aerial class finds everything fun and looks great.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back