WAG Parents????????????????????

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

Justmehere

Gymnast
Reaction score
I am 16 years old, 17 in 20 days. Last night I told my mom for my birthday I wanted to do gymnastics, the only thing she would have to pay for is the lessons. It took me 6 1/2 years to build up the courage to ask her this. Her response was no. The thing is the only gym near where I live is 1 1/2 away, (yes it is the only one I checked everywhere and called many places claiming that they were gymnastics gym, but they only do tumbling, ( and I don't really like tumbling.) After she said no, (about 6:45 ish) last night; I cried my eyes out from that time on in the darkness of my room until 1:30 in the morning. She doesn't understand how much this means to me and my dad is going to go along with whatever she says. I have ADHD and Anxiety and when I do gymnastics around the house it is the only time I feel truly happy. If you are wondering why I couldn't just drive myself is that my mom won't let me get my permit, let alone my license.

Last edited:
Why not start off with tumbling? If you say you feel happy when you do gymnastics around the house, I'm guessing you are just doing some light tumbling anyway. I can't imagine you've got a full gym setup in your basement.

If you get going with the tumbling, maybe if you are going to college, you can look for one that has a recreational gymnastics program and you can continue there.

Honestly, as a parent, I'm not sure I'd want to spend 3 hours/day driving my child to anything, except a medically required appointment, especially if there are other kids in the house &/or there is not a stay-at-home parent.

1 1/2 hours away is a long drive one way. That would mean your mom or who ever drives you would most likey need to stay for the whole time. the fact you say your mom wont' let you drive I would want to know why mom feels this way. I'm not taking sides but we don't have all the facts here either. With what you have posted I don't think I would have said yes either. At 17 you souldn't be crying your eyes out for hours because you didn't get what you wanted - not trying to be harsh here but that says alot about your lack of maturity, that too says somthing.

Lastly Gymnastics isn't cheap by any stretch of the imagination so maybe the "extra money" just isn't there for a monthly commitment with a total drive of 3 hours (1 1/2 there and then back again) that is alot of extra wear and tear on the car and the cost of gas isn't cheap either.

How about getting a job to show you would be willing to work to pay for your own gymnastics? Then mom might see you are more serious about this. Crying for hours in your room certainly isn't the way my DD would get something I said no to.

I'm sure if you think about it there are other activites out there that you love too, are closer, cheaper and you would love to be a part of. I know alot of kids with ADHD and Anxiety and they really do well with Karate - similar focus needed and helps with relaxation. How about Dance, Ice Skating, Swimming, etc.

what is wrong with starting out with the tumbling classes? Gymnastics has alot of tumbling to it and its a good place to start if you are serious about moving on into gymnastics.

How about going out for a school team? You have so many more options out there but you have to learn to gracefully accept disapointment and learn to move on to something else is part of becoming an adult.

Definitely give the tumbling a try. Tumbling is really all that gymnastics about as the most basic skill in gymnastics is the handstand. If you look at the best gymnasts in the world, you will see the use of handstands on every single piece of apparatus. SO learning how to tumble will mean that later on (when you have your own money to spend as you wish) you will have mastered the most important skill of all. IN fact the mastery of the handstand is critical. You can also focus on your strength and flexibility, these two things are also critical elements in gymnastics. You can search online for training programmes to five you a strong and flexible body, these can be done in your home with minimal equipment, or in a weights gym.

Just to add, we have many, many members who are unable to join a gym for all sorts of reasons including distance and money and time. So you are not alone. Join in here, we have many older gymnasts who continue to enjoy the sport on their own terms. SO instead of using your energy to be sad, use it to be strong, flexible and give those tumbling classes a try. You just might be surprised at how much fun it is.

I would check out the places nearby that offer tumbling and then save up to take a class. As Bog pointed out much of what is done in gymnastics has its foundation in tumbling. Get what you can out of the class.

I agree, try the tumbling (if your mom says OK) and see how it goes. 3 hours in the car (1.5 hours each way) is a LOT. I'm not sure that I would do it for my kids. I would want to; but in the end, it just wouldn't seem practical. Especially with the homework load that most high schoolers I know have.

When I was a kid I swam competitively and practice was 45 miles each way (on the interstate) and even that was a lot over time.

Also, even a rec class is a really big "gift". When my kids were in rec at a private gym I want to say it was $60 per month - so a year of that for a gift would be a $720 gift. More for more than one day per week...

I'm sorry you are so disappointed. If you love the sport so much, maybe a part-time job at one the closer tumbling places. You might enjoy sharing your passion for the sport with little kids and there is nothing wrong with earning a little money! I hope it works out for you.

You may have to settle for tumbling in the short term, but I am going to tell you EXACTLY what you should say to them:

"I am 16 years old, 17 in 20 days. Last night I told my mom for my birthday I wanted to do gymnastics, the only thing she would have to pay for is the lessons. It took me 6 1/2 years to build up the courage to ask her this. Her response was no. The thing is the only gym near where I live is 1 1/2 away, (yes it is the only one I checked everywhere and called many places claiming that they were gymnastics gym, but they only do tumbling, ( and I don't really like tumbling.) After she said no, (about 6:45 ish) last night; I cried my eyes out from that time on in the darkness of my room until 1:30 in the morning. She doesn't understand how much this means to me and my dad is going to go along with whatever she says. I have ADHD and Anxiety and when I do gymnastics around the house it is the only time I feel truly happy. If you are wondering why I couldn't just drive myself is that my mom won't let me get my permit, let alone my license."

If my kids came to me with this kind of raw honesty and passion, I would do whatever I could to support it. Good luck, kiddo!

Three hours driving is quite a big deal. I spend about four times as much on fuel each month, taking my daughter to gym, as I do on the actual gym fees, so I don't blame your parents for saying no on this occasion. I would suggest sitting them down, calmly, and telling them how much it means to you and ask for help to try and find some solution.

Starting with tumbling seems a good one. I don't know what it's like in the US, but here in the UK there's plenty of overlap. They work on conditioning and basics, skills on the trampoline and also sometimes vaulting. Why don't you try a session before writing it off? You might love it.

If you do well there and want to move on your parents might be more open to the idea once you've shown that you are willing to compromise and not just give up when you don't get the exact thing you want.

Three hours in a car every day you have gymnastics is a lot. As others said--start with the tumbling and see how it goes (will she let you do that?). I admire you for doing research on what's around you, etc! I am sorry you don't have more options available closer to you :-(

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back