Periods and competitions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Adelita.19

Gymnast
I'm sorry if this is a bit personal but I think it is a topic that every gymnast will have to deal with during their career.

I have a comp coming up and I'm scared that I'm going to be on my period during the comp. What does everyone else do if this happens.

I don't own any competition shorts that match my club comp Leo and I think shorts look unprofessional anyway.

I was thinking about them. Are they good to use during a competition. I haven't used them before but I think if I just use them when I really need them it should be fine. Do you have to wear anything else in case of leaking like a really thin pad or something?

I was thinking about them. Are they good to use during a competition. I haven't used them before but I think if I just use them when I really need them it should be fine. Do you have to wear anything else in case of leaking like a really thin pad or something?
You don't need to wear a pad (as it may slip and show) but mine doesn't usually leak. And yeah they're fine for competing. I competed in about 3-5 meets with one and it was fine.

Tampons are fine if you can use them (maybe don't let competition day be the first time you try) or if you are really worried there is a medication you can take which will delay your period. I don't particularly reccomend it, but it does exist. When I used it I was very emotional and mood-swingy, but it doesn't affect everyone the same way. You would need to go to your doctor to get a pescription for it.

High cut underwear with a thin/discreet pad that you can change straight after you compete is also an option - I've always done this in training but I do tend to wear shorts.

Have you spoken to your mum about this? she might be able to help

Thank you everyone. I haven't talked to my mum about it yet because we don't really talk about stuff like that. I think I'm going to wait a couple of days to know for sure if I am going to have it this weekend. Once I know I will talk about going and getting something so I can have a bit of a practice before the comp.

Yeah you should practice before the comp. I made the mistake of waiting until the comp, but luckily it was easy for me :)

Make sure the string it tucked in though!!! One time I was waiting for the judge on floor and I realized the string was sticking out a lot and I couldn't do anything about it:/

Make sure the string it tucked in though!!! One time I was waiting for the judge on floor and I realized the string was sticking out a lot and I couldn't do anything about it:/

That has to be one of my biggest fears when competing on my period!!!
Tampons all the way girl. You'll be fine without a pad, just maybe go to the bathroom before march in or something because if its a really heavy day for you, and a long meet ahead, you might leak a little. Don't be nervous about it though. I don't think anyone will judge you if anything happens.

Why color is your leotard? If it's dark, then a leak won't show too much. This hasn't happened to me yet, but I would use a tampon. They sound like the right thing to use.

The first time I had to compete with my period I was young (11 years old) and there was no way I was sticking that thing up my fanny! So I used a thin liner. I put it on right before I competed went to the toilet half way and changed it then right after presentations changed it. You could not see it and it did not leak. This will not work if you have a heavy flow.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back