WAG Petition to Regionals

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Muddlethru

Proud Parent
Are there petitions that are denied? If so, what is the basis of the denial? What type of injuries are acceptable and how severe must it be?

It's funny that you ask if there are any that are denied because we were just talking about how we've never seen it happen (that we know of) ....The injury has to be enough to keep them for doing (or completing ) States , and must have a clearance date from an MD .

I actually think there are too many "petitions to regionals" by certain gyms EVERY year, and that there should be a stricter review of the cases (and I'm not saying it's you or your gym but this thread just reminded me..) ...There are certain gymnasts you don't see compete all season, maybe an event or two at States (if that)...and lo and behold, miraculous recovery and able to compete at Regionals ...and it happens year after year...

Are there petitions that are denied? If so, what is the basis of the denial? What type of injuries are acceptable and how severe must it be?

petition is not based on anything past an injury with a Doc's note. i have never know anyone whose gymnast was denied unless they did not meet the requirements of petition.

petition is not based on anything past an injury with a Doc's note. i have never know anyone whose gymnast was denied unless they did not meet the requirements of petition.
===
add,, just make sure that the Dr, note has a RELEASE date, if it's an injury. Meaning, they can return to the sport.... Also the regional qualifying score is a 34 but to get petitioned into regionals you needed to show a 35 score during the season... I have no idea if that rule is still in place, but one of my kids did get denied for that in 2012,,, she scored a 34.77 at the first meet of the season (level 9, so not bad), then broke her toes, then entered the last meet of the season 34.55, got the Flu, missed state and was DENIED regional entry because she did not hit at 35, which was/is the petition standard. yep,,,, Mean while at the state meet people were running around getting scores raised so kids could get that 34 to go... Not a fan of that rule....

I think it really dilutes the "specialness" of regionals if a coach can ask for a score to be bumped up during a competition just so a particular gymnast can go. That doesn't feel like they're playing by the rules. A minimum score is a minimum score...and a score should reflect the routine, not be a jumping off point for some sort of negotiation.

If almost anybody can go to regionals, how is it any different from state???? Regionals should be a higher benchmark....not just another meet that a gymnast is entitled to attend. Earn it, and earn it for real. Only then is it special.

===
add,, just make sure that the Dr, note has a RELEASE date, if it's an injury. Meaning, they can return to the sport.... Also the regional qualifying score is a 34 but to get petitioned into regionals you needed to show a 35 score during the season... I have no idea if that rule is still in place, but one of my kids did get denied for that in 2012,,, she scored a 34.77 at the first meet of the season (level 9, so not bad), then broke her toes, then entered the last meet of the season 34.55, got the Flu, missed state and was DENIED regional entry because she did not hit at 35, which was/is the petition standard. yep,,,, Mean while at the state meet people were running around getting scores raised so kids could get that 34 to go... Not a fan of that rule....
I have just been wondering about this....You say people are running around getting scores raised so kids get 34 to go to Regionals....

This is my daughter's first year at Level 9. She has hit a 34 once this season and otherwise has teetered around low to mid 33s.

I had wondered if coaches watch every score and argue for the tenths so that if a child is really close they will be able to go.

If so, do they ask immediately after each event or wait until the end when they see a girl missed by say .4?

Of course, my daughter wants to make it to Regionals but it will depend on the day, I guess!!

Either way, if the Chalkbucket wants to send her good vibes on Saturday, it's appreciated!!

I have just been wondering about this....You say people are running around getting scores raised so kids get 34 to go to Regionals....

This is my daughter's first year at Level 9. She has hit a 34 once this season and otherwise has teetered around low to mid 33s.

I had wondered if coaches watch every score and argue for the tenths so that if a child is really close they will be able to go.

If so, do they ask immediately after each event or wait until the end when they see a girl missed by say .4?

Of course, my daughter wants to make it to Regionals but it will depend on the day, I guess!!

Either way, if the Chalkbucket wants to send her good vibes on Saturday, it's appreciated!!
=
No a coach should not petition each score, if at the end of the meet the child has missed by a tenth or maybe two, then the coach can turn in a petition to the meet ref, for the lowest event score. Depends on the state and meet ref, but in all fairness they don't have to do anything at all.

I think it really dilutes the "specialness" of regionals if a coach can ask for a score to be bumped up during a competition just so a particular gymnast can go. That doesn't feel like they're playing by the rules. A minimum score is a minimum score...and a score should reflect the routine, not be a jumping off point for some sort of negotiation.

If almost anybody can go to regionals, how is it any different from state???? Regionals should be a higher benchmark....not just another meet that a gymnast is entitled to attend. Earn it, and earn it for real. Only then is it special.
=

Sounds legit and I agree, until it happens to your DD who has been killing it all season long with 36's, only to fall off beam 3 times and bars once at state and missed it by a tenth,,, then... well,,,,

=
No a coach should not petition each score, if at the end of the meet the child has missed by a tenth or maybe two, then the coach can turn in a petition to the meet ref, for the lowest event score. Depends on the state and meet ref, but in all fairness they don't have to do anything at all.

This is actually listed in the R & P, so I would think meet refs MUST follow it:

"Exception to the 5-minute to submit inquiry rule:
If, after the completion of the last event, an athlete’s AA score is a maximum of 0.10 less than the qualifying score to the State (or Regional) Championships, the coach may submit an inquiry for the gymnast’s lowest scoring event in order that the athlete be considered for qualification purposes. Any change of score is official and is included in the final results."

=

Sounds legit and I agree, until it happens to your DD who has been killing it all season long with 36's, only to fall off beam 3 times and bars once at state and missed it by a tenth,,, then... well,,,,

LOL....I don't know. I think it's okay for a kid to try to reach a hard goal but come up short and that be the end of it.

My DD asked me to make a "deal" with her for this season. She set a pretty lofty, but attainable with a lot of hard work, goal for herself and asked for a specific reward. I bemusedly agreed. She missed her goal by 0.275 and I did not get the award for her. She was pretty upset since what cost her was an uncharacteristic fall on a silly part of her beam routine, but such is life!

LOL....I don't know. I think it's okay for a kid to try to reach a hard goal but come up short and that be the end of it.

My DD asked me to make a "deal" with her for this season. She set a pretty lofty, but attainable with a lot of hard work, goal for herself and asked for a specific reward. I bemusedly agreed. She missed her goal by 0.275 and I did not get the award for her. She was pretty upset since what cost her was an uncharacteristic fall on a silly part of her beam routine, but such is life!
Hmm...It's a tough sport, for sure. I didn't know about the .10 and the coaches being able to petition. Honestly, if my daughter was .10 away, I guess I'd be happy for the coach to petition! They do work so hard and are hard on themselves. If a girl scores 33.90 it's not like petitioning the .10 is going to get her to Easterns or Nationals from Regionals. My guess is that is around her average score for the season so it's not like they are potentially going to take a spot for those meets from another girl.
Yet they will still have the excitement of going to Regionals....they have their whole life after gymnastics to deal with disappointment...if the .10 will get them there, I guess I'm for the petition.

I would have to agree with you shelovestoflip!

If they are that darn close and they had just had a bad day which happens then I think that a coach is doing a disservice to the girl by not at least trying to petition the score!

Yes, I agree that they need to learn to handle disappointment but with this sport there are plenty of opportunities already!!

I've always admired those who stick to their guns. I'm so easily swayed it is pathetic.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back