WAG Platinum or Gold?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi everyone! So this is something my coaches and I have been thinking about for a while and whether I should be in Gold or Platinum. I competed Silver last year and before you say that it's not possible to skip a level I'm pretty sure I could score out of gold or something similar. I have had everything for gold for almost a half a year now (I had a mental block for something so that's why I was put in silver and my coaches overall wanted me to perfect my gold skills before I went to gold) I think I should do gold but I don't know about my coaches. Either I would be a 13-year-old gold or a 13-year-old platinum but I don't want to focus on age just skills. I have platinum skills on everything except for bars so basically I could complete platinum everything except for bars. I don't have a kip or a flyaway so that would be a big problem. My first meet is in January and I'm probably going to have my kip by then as my coaches spot me with one finger to prove that I just need to shift and lean to get the final part. Here is a list of the skills that I have, our xcel coaches are pretty low-key so if you can just do a skill decently then they put you in that level instead of perfecting it.

Bars: I actually just got grips and I don't really like them. First of all the edge of my grips are rubbing against the side of my hands and it hurts. Everytime I swing they're pulling at my wrists and I haven't broken them in so that's that. These are skills without grips:
Glide
Pullover
Backhip circle
Double back hip circle
Squat on
Jump to high bar
Tap swing dismount

Bad form/Not ready for competition:
Clearhip

Working on:
Kip
Sole Circle
High Bar kip
Flyaway

Beam:
Cartwheel
Cartwheel-Cartwheel
Handstand
Full turn
Split jump + connections to other jumps
Front tuck dismount
Barani

Working on:
Flight Cartwheel
Round-off

Floor:
Round off back tuck
Round of back handspring
Front tuck
Front pike
1 1/2 turn
Switch leap + connection to jumps
Full twisting tuck jump
Back + Front Walkover
Back handspring stepout

Front handspring

Working on:
Round off back handspring back tuck
Front Layout
Front Handspring front tuck
Double turn

Vault: Table height is 115
Half on
Half on half off

Half on full off
Front Handspring

Working on:
Tsuks into pit

Thanks! I know that some people progress faster than others and each gym is different so I want this communities advice :)

The flyaway is not needed for Platinum, the requirement is just a dismount from the high bar.
However, if you don't WANT to go to Platinum, then you shouldn't even if you have (in some sense of the word) all the skills. .

How are your casts on bars? You also would need a skill, like a cast, that goes above horizontal. How about your split leaps/jumps on floor/beam? Will they meet the angle requirements for platinum?
I would have a discussion with your coaches. It sounds like gold would be best even though it might be possible for you to get the skills for platinum in the next 6 months. You could always add the new skills that are competition ready to your gold routines as long as they are allowed at that level. Then you would be more prepared for platinum the following season. I would definitely not focus on age. It's really all about the skills but 13 is not old at all for gold and 14 for platinum.

I would say think about you. Would you benefit from being challenged or from being a high scorer for a season, while working upgrades to get them near perfect then be another high scorer the following year in platinum. Also think why do you like gymnastics. Because you’re good at it? Because it challenges you to be better? Because of teammates and friends? Whichever one fits the reason you love the sport most, think about that, if you’re in it mainly for friendship, what level are your friends going? Or is there something special in platinum you can’t get in gold, some gyms have first year golds do the same routine and music for floor as an example. I know when I had the option for silver podium or gold lower scoring, floor Choreo and music was the deal breaker for me because I love to dance and express myself.

I think these answers are all that my coaches think, except for the kip part. I think they're open to putting me in platinum if I get an okay bar routine by the time season starts. I think I want to do gold since I'll score better and there's less stress about gymnastics because at this age you know, like we're almost starting highschool and school gets harder. My friends are thinking about doing platinum (last year I did silver and they did gold) and I think they might stay in gold for the same reasons.
How are your casts on bars? You also would need a skill, like a cast, that goes above horizontal. How about your split leaps/jumps on floor/beam? Will they meet the angle requirements for platinum?
I would have a discussion with your coaches. It sounds like gold would be best even though it might be possible for you to get the skills for platinum in the next 6 months. You could always add the new skills that are competition ready to your gold routines as long as they are allowed at that level. Then you would be more prepared for platinum the following season. I would definitely not focus on age. It's really all about the skills but 13 is not old at all for gold and 14 for platinum.
My casts and leaps/jumps are actually okay, my cast is above horizontal and my jumps are basically 180 I think they would pass for platinum but then I still think I'll work on perfecting my skills for gold. Thanks all!

I am going to say go with Gold
1) You don't have a kip yet, and a kip by it's self is not routine ready.
2) The mental block from the past. If you are under pressure to get skills ready for comps, I think you risk the chance of developing another block.
3) It also gives you extra 'wiggle room' should life/gymnastics throw a few barriers in your way

Compete gold, do well: feel good! Solidify your skills and up train for Platinum and beyond in the gym.

I guess the other question you have to ask yourself is 'if you did Platinum, would you likely end up repeating it the following year? This does work for some athletes.

Personally, I would absolutely recommend a season of Gold. you could build some higher skills in if you want, but excessive pressure can cause past mental blocks to redevelop. Not sure what benefit pushing ahead to Platinum would bring? Let yourself have a developmental year and then you can rock Platinum the following year!

You should totally stay in gold. I've repeated levels before, and honestly, doing something too easy for you but doing it right (and winning!), feels a lot better than the title of a higher level.
Anyway good luck with whatever level you decide to compete I'm sure you'll do great!

I would say if you get most of the skills you're working on then move to platinum, if you can do them consistently with good form then you're ready and they'll get better as the season goes on, but if it feels like there are too many and you're pushing too close to the season then I would stay back or move mid-season if your gym does that.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back