Anon Practices while waiting for Dr appt

• Thread starter Thread starter Anonymous (5155)
  • Start date Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
A

Anonymous (5155)

TL/DR - What do you do when your child is in pain (probably chronic/overuse type), has a scheduled dr appt, but has practices in the interim and the coaches don’t seem to believe that your child is in pain?

My DD (11 yo, L6/7) has been experiencing some wrist pain since the spring (when she started training beam BHS and yurchenkos). She got Tiger Paws, but is only allowed to wear them on vault and only when they are doing yurchenko-specific drills/vaults.

This summer she started having occasional pain in her Achilles area while tumbling. Over the past few weeks, it has gotten pretty bad and now one ankle hurts more than the other. The past few days she has been noticeably limping in the mornings.

She has been landing short on standing back tucks (doesn’t quite have it all the way around yet), which she says really hurts, but the coaches keep making her do them. Now she’s losing some of her tumbling skills (FHS-FT and RO-BHS-layout). She says she’s not scared of them, but that her Achilles and wrists hurt so much that it’s hard to tumble. She’s also not feeling very secure about her beam BHS, which she has had solidly since April. Up until a few weeks ago she was working series on the medium beam and now she’s just trying to work her regular BHS back up to high beam.

The coaches seem to be upset and told her she’s regressing. She’s never been injured, hates to sit out, and has a high pain tolerance so I don’t know why it seems like they don’t believe her about the pain.

I just got her an appointment with a pediatric orthopedist who is familiar with gymnastics, but the appointment is not until Friday morning and she has two practices before then. I’m not asking for medical advice, but I’m wondering what to do about these two practices. Should I just tell the coaches that the pain has been significant lately, that she has an appointment on Friday morning, and that I’d rather her not do anything that puts stress on her wrists and ankles until she’s been seen by the doctor?

Thank you!

First, let's get this out of the way: we don't allow requesting or giving medical advice on the chalk bucket. Most of us aren't doctors, and any who are can't diagnose or recommend treatment without conducting a proper examination. The best source of medical advice is always a qualified doctor who has conducted a formal examination of the athlete.

FOR THE MOMENT, I'll keep this thread open, but let me plant the flag that this is a thread for discussion between coaches/athletes/parents about whether and how to train while injured.

THIS IS NOT a thread to discuss treatment or diagnosis.

Anyway, what I always tell my athletes is this:
1) If it hurts enough that you're modifying your technique or holding back on your execution because of it, stop
2) If it is getting worse from one turn to the next, stop
3) If neither of the above is the case, training can continue, but always err on the side of caution. If you're not sure whether you can safely do a particular skill or exercise, don't do it.
4) Doctors' orders override coaches' orders. In any situation where your coach says one thing and your doctor says another, assume the doctor is right and the coach is wrong.

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back