Parents pre-meet jitters/tradition

• Thread starter Thread starter Fliptwisttumble
  • Start date Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
F

Fliptwisttumble

DD is leaving Thursday for her first "big" meet - on a plane with the provincial team flying with coaches, in a hotel with the other girls, competing, etc. in her first meet with both team and potential individual competition.

So the pre-meet jitters have started, and as has become our family's tradition at DD's request, we are not allowed to say the word "gymnastics" anymore until after the meet. We can't say, OK we have to leave for the gym, we can't say, how was your day at the gym, we can't say are you nervous about your meet, we can't say anything that suggests gymnastics. We silently take her to practise, drop her off, don't ask a thing, and drive her home.

Thankfully she has recovered from her "I want to quit" - she recognizes that it was misguided direction of her frustrations and stress. But, as per the last couple of local meets, her request to "not speak of it" still holds.

I had no idea how many times I use the word gym - guess it's hard when you go back and forth nearly every day!!!

Wow....that would be tough. That word is used a lot around here!

Best of luck to her at the meet!

Funny update:

Grandpa was picking up DD and taking her to gym today. He is oblivious to her level, her stresses, etc. But he's heard she's going to a "national" meet and decided to ask her if he will be able to watch it on TV! Bless her little soul, she got freaked out..... and I got a text full of screaming faces :rolleyes:

LOL! That sounds like something my dad would ask my niece.

Yeah, we bandy that word around like nothing here. And we also forget that not everyone understands us. I had to discuss something with her school secretary and mentioned she had a change in her gym schedule and the secretary started looking up her school schedule. We all kept looking at each very confusedly until we got on the same page.

I think I would bit myself bloody if my DD insisted on that. And I love the "see you on TV" question! Priceless!

It's good to hear she got over her "quit streak" and is soon to be off to such a prestigious event.

That bit about.......
decided to ask her if he will be able to watch it on TV!
is priceless. I hope she enjoys her "experience" and maybe she'll even be able to personalize an 8x10 glossy for grandpa and IWC just before she gets on the plane...... cue screeching violins, cut to straight jacket, and....... action!!:eek::eek::eek::D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back