Coaches Pre pre-team

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have recently begun coaching a group of "advanced" 4-year old gymnasts who are on the track of joining pre-comp within the next couple years. They are all basically starting from scratch. My question is by age 5 or 6 what skills should they be progressing towards? Besides basic development of agility, balance and coordination what should I be focusing on? I have ideas but it would be great to get some insight from other clubs and coaches

Communication skills, such as.......... "Coach, I gotta go potty." :oops:

Really you asked a great question, but you'll have to wait for my views as I don't have the time to respond.

Also learning terms such as hollow, arch, front support, body alignment, etc.

Our girls in that kind of class are working cartwheels, handstands, assemble straight jump, rolls (straight arm backward rolls, forward rolls, regular backward rolls), walking jumping and galloping on beam, pullovers on bars, glide swings, casts, front support roll over, slow motion beat swings, straight jumps from beat board on vault, improving their run, etc.

Basically keep it fun and focus on the basics and perfecting then. Devote time to conditioning and flexibility, enforce good behavior, keep the environment positive so they want to come back for more.

Once they turn six and are moved into pre-team they build of these skills perfecting those bar skills, doing chin up pullovers, cartwheels and handstands on beam, back walkovers and back handsprings on floor and more board position and jumping on vault.

Firstly I would say handstands, handstands, handstands. There are sooo many things that come from it (ie. handsprings on vault, cartwheels, etc.) If you get the body shaping down EARLY it makes everything SO MUCH EASIER.

If I had to get specific on every event --

Floor -- Handstands (this can will fix cartwheels, too) especially if you do straddle handstands (or variations) in correct shapes (ie. get the arch out of that straddle HS early). Also emphasizing shoulder flexibility for walkovers etc is a good idea.

Beam -- COMFORT. Doesn't really matter what you do. Getting kids comfortable with being upside down, or doing anything really (handstands against a block at the end of the beam). Also, starting to teach proper dance technique.

Vault -- I would say a lot of what you can do at this point is working maintaining body tension and working on runs. Those are probably going to get you the most bang for your buck (or time)

Bars -- backhip circles (especially for wrist shifting), tap swing shapes, getting comfortable being upside down, and proper casting.

Lots of work on good shapes, learning names of body positions, just building a solid foundation for them to work off of in the levels ahead. Tight body drills, standing up tall. Basic strength and flexibility work, but try to keep it fun since they are only 4.
Handstands all over the place- spotted, against the wall, levers, flatbacks.
Get a head start on jumps, leaps, and turns. It can make you feel like banging your head against a wall with these little ones, but is absolutely possible and will prevent later frustrations. Even just the most basic building blocks for those things- standing in releve, correct positions with their arms, baby leaps, jumps on tramp or tumbltrak, half turns and pivot turns.
Running, hurdles, rebounds. I would say it's perfectly fine if they don't have a "proper" vault by the time they reach pre-team as long as they've gotten the idea of running and hurdles down pretty well.
Mostly I would say just make sure that whatever you are working on you are really stress good body shapes, I really feel that that's what is going to benefit them most in the long run. Well, other then helping them fall in love with gymnastics. That's number 1.
But really, have FUN! I love this pre-team groups.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back