WAG press handstands--when?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I agree it's better to learn it young if possible. I got into competitive gymnastics very late (I was 16) but I had good skills and was flexible and strong. After 2 years of competitive my coach was still baffled that I couldn't even do a press from straddle stand, or even a good straddle hold. She said I was easily strong enough. Clearly even though I understood the mechanics, my body just couldn't figure it out, especially the whole compression part - something I think would have been helped greatly by doing lots of basics if I'd started younger. I'm incredibly jealous of all the girls my age (20) who can still do presses!

and believe it or not, i can still do a press at my age. age=old. though my knees are a bit more bent today than just a couple of years ago. i could no longer do a fingertip press at age 55. i learned one at 12. :)

Age doesn't really matter. I have seen adults develop them past their college years. However, getting longer and heavier does not make it any easier.

Many WAG programs focus on presses if they have desires to do TOPS. Not many MAG gyms do future stars and isn't really tested in there anyways. However, we see straddle, split, and stalder press HS on floor besides straddle-L press HS on PB and press HS on Rings in the JO program. Not many MAG programs are that serious about S&C, same with WAG but there are 5x the number of WAG programs out there.

Work a zillion HS, work on your active straddle flexibility (Good Morning HipFlexors) and do a lot of presses with a spot, negatives or a wall. Numbers like anything else in gymnastics.

All our 'elite' path girls can do them and have had them for around 6 months-a year now. They are aged 7 (will be 8 this year). They are just learning them on beam now. Most of our National pathway gymnasts can do them and had them from about age 8. Hardly any of our Regional/club pathway gymnasts can do them, but they also don't work them regularly unless self motivated to do so.
Our development squad gymnasts (aged 4-7) work on them a lot and whether they get them or not does tend to determine which track they go on to compete!

and believe it or not, i can still do a press at my age. age=old. though my knees are a bit more bent today than just a couple of years ago. i could no longer do a fingertip press at age 55. i learned one at 12. :)

Video, please? Would love to show DD age means nothing. ;)

And since he's worried about his anonymity, Dunno could wear a mask and turn the whole think into a Harlem Shake video!!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back