Parents preteam without pullover?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

And you just hit on my frustration. I know she can do a pullover the right way when prompted, but when all the other kids are kicking over, it seems normal. Yet I feel like a CGM for asking about more challenging classes.

I don't think it matters if she does a few kick overs in the grand scheme of things :) Enjoy these years.

From a coach perspective we don't push preschool and kindergarten age kids into team style training, but simply train them faster when they are older. Some parents have a problem with this and leave over it, but we do what we think is right. A few sloppy things here and there at age 5 makes no difference in the end. Gymnastics is a continual process of learning and body shaping that never stops.

But as an aside, every class does basic strengthening exercises as a major component and I have many 4 and. 5 year olds who can do pullovers and even a couple 3 year olds every year who can get their legs up (but I've never had one fully complete it with their head up and there is a good physiological reason for that). With exposure and basic conditioning exercises some kids get it earlier, some kids get it later, makes no difference in the end if they keep progressing and getting stronger.

But as an aside, every class does basic strengthening exercises as a major component and I have many 4 and. 5 year olds who can do pullovers and even a couple 3 year olds every year who can get their legs up (but I've never had one fully complete it with their head up and there is a good physiological reason for that). With exposure and basic conditioning exercises some kids get it earlier, some kids get it later, makes no difference in the end if they keep progressing and getting stronger.

Did a search and ended up reading through this thread. I'm curious to know the reasoning behind not allowing a 3yr old to complete a pullover. Like I said, sheer curiosity - I know pretty much nothing on the topic.

I haven't read the whole thread but I don't think it's an issue of not allowing 3 year olds to complete a pullover. I think it's more of an issue of it being nearly impossible physiologically. Their heads are just too big compared to the rest of their body, for them to get themselves upright. My DD could get her legs up and over the bar as a young 4 year old but she couldn't get herself upright until she was almost 5 :)

I haven't read the whole thread but I don't think it's an issue of not allowing 3 year olds to complete a pullover. I think it's more of an issue of it being nearly impossible physiologically. Their heads are just too big compared to the rest of their body, for them to get themselves upright. My DD could get her legs up and over the bar as a young 4 year old but she couldn't get herself upright until she was almost 5 :)

Ah, of course! I misread the word "physiological," substituting "psychological" in its place. Ha! I was wondering how my gym was damaging the psyche's of all the 3yr olds!!

This thread is very old. We like for members to start new threads asking their question and perhaps linking to older threads. Things can get very confusing when old threads are dragged up.

This thread is very old. We like for members to start new threads asking their question and perhaps linking to older threads. Things can get very confusing when old threads are dragged up.

Sorry to confuse everyone. Didn't know I was breaking any rules.

Thread closed.

If you want to discuss this topic please start a new thread and feel free to link this one.

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back