Qualifying?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

my4buffaloes

Proud Parent
So I keep seeing in threads that gymnasts need a qualifying score for sectionals or states. I am a bit confused! Do all states have sectionals? Are the sectionals prior to states? We have a state meet, but I have no idea what the score needed to go is and I have never heard about sectionals here. Just trying to figure it all out! Thanks.

It depends on the state. We recently moved to Virginia from Texas and I am learning just how different things are done! In Texas there were no sectionals, there was North and South state and then from there you could go on to State. Also in Texas there were not qualifying scores, it was based on percentages of those competing and then a certain number in each age group would move on. Right before we moved there were girls scoring 35's (I think even some 36's) at South State and not moving on to States!

I think the way it works here is you have to get a certain score at a general meet to go to a Sectional and then a certain score at Sectionals to go to the State meet. I believe girls have 3 or 4 sectionals they can attend in order to try to get their State qualifying score. I guess this way more girls get the opportunity to attend a State meet. I understand why Texas uses the system they do, there are so many girls at the lower levels! I think if they just had a straight score the girls had to hit they would have to split the State competition over two weekends.

Hope this is all correct (it's all based on our level 5 experience in both states so far), still learning the way the system works here in Virginia. So far my daughter is loving it and really enjoying having an extra long season.

Even in PA it's different at different levels. Let's see if I get this right...
Level 3 and under: no sectionals or states
Level 4: qualifying score of 32 at a sanctioned USAG meet qualifies you for "States" but there are 2 different "State" locations and multiple meets at each location, so while my DD "won level 4 states" it really just means that she won for her age group at her particular meet at that particular location.
Level 5 & 6: qualifying score of 31 to get to "sectionals" (I think there are 3 locations across the state where sectionals are held) and then a 33 at sectionals to qualify for States.
Prep Op and level 7 and up don't have sectionals... just States, though I don't remember what the qualifying score is. 34 maybe? I think at level 8 you can qualify for regionals at states? Anyway, it's all very confusing, though I'm sure that when and if my dd gets there, I'll figure it all out eventually.

We don't have sectionals here, girls just have to get a certain score (it varies by level, I think?) to make it to state meet. Guess it is different everywhere. Check your state's USAG website, or your region's website...you should be able to find that info there!

Its a state by state thing but there are National guidelines for the states. Here is what they have listed in their reg book. Its in part II of the competion structure on the page listed at 25 but it really is pg 41 if you scroll down.

In our state L4 - L7 qualify for sectionals at local meets with a score of at least 31 then at the sectional must get a score of 33 to qualify for states.

L8 - L10 Qualify at local meets to go to states but I'm not sure what the qualifying score is I think its 33 and at states they will qualify to go to Regionals

I know L9 and L10 have I think 2 more levels but I don't know how that works.

Here is what is in the USAG regs for competion structure.

I. GENERAL REGULATIONS
A. The State Administrative Committee determines:
1. If and when Pre-Sectional Qualifiers and/or Sectional competition will be conducted.

2. If State Meets at Level 1
-4 will be conducted.
3. If sub-divisions within levels will be offered, such as first year competitors and veterans, or if a team competition will
be conducted separately from the State individual competition.
4. The qualifying scores for Pre-sectional, sectional and state meets.
5. The competitive schedule for State Meets and below.
a. It is recommended that a reasonable period of preparation be provided between seasons, especially between
Compulsory and Optional Levels.
b. May conduct one annual State meet, or one fall and one Spring State Meet at Levels 7 and below.
B. The Regional Administrative Committee determines:
1. If a Level 8 Regional Championships will be conducted.
2. The qualifying procedures, schedule and format of the Level 8 Regional Championships.

Every state has their own rules and I think they may change from year to year . In pa this year level6 does not have sectionals but in the past they had them. The qualifying score for the level 4 is different from when my daughter competed it. I think it may have to do with the amount of gymnasts registered for each level.

In Virginia it is different at different levels also. At level 4 & 5 there are sectionals.. you have to qualify to them and then qualify to states from them. There are 4 sectionals, but you can only attend 3. Our gym only attends two because otherwise you are going to a sectional over and over again and never really have the time to step back and train those problem areas. At level 6 - 10 you can qualify directly to states from any meet by scoring the score one time. It is pretty easy to qualify at those levels.

Thanks everyone. It makes a little more sense now. I don't think they do sectionals here, but will check out the state website and see.

In Oregon there is a 31 qualifying AA score to get to fall compulsory sectionals- North and South- There the top 72 athletes from each sectional advance to state, regardless of age division. No gymnast can go to fall state without advancing through sectionals. During the spring, there is no sectional meet, yet there is a spring state meet. There is a 32 AA qualifying score for spring states for both compulsory and optional gymnasts.

My mom said that the level 5 qualifying score for states is a 34 aa in pa. I don't know what the score for sectionals is.

They changed the rules in PA since this thread was started. Last year my DD was level 5 and she had to score a 31 to qualify for sectionals and then a 33 at sectionals to qualify for states. This year PA has done away with all sectionals and, as you said, level 5's need to get a 34 at any sanctioned meet to qualify for States. At level 6 it's only a 32!

In Colorado there are no sectionals, at least when I was a compulsory level gymnast. Now I'm in Virginia with my niece and she's competing L 5 and there's sectionals. Pretty much what Sevan's mom said. Best thing to do is ask your DD's coach and/or check the USAG website for your state. Good luck!

Oh stupid me for not checking the date the actual post was started. Maddie I'm probably going to have to warn you for bringing up old threads despite being asked to stop.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back