WAG Question about getting to 180 degrees

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

Texasmomof3

Proud Parent
Reaction score
My dd asked me to ask this question of the coaches/judges and experienced moms. My avatar is my dd's split jump on beam. Is that open enough to count as full 180? If not, how much of a deduction is it?

Dd also wonders (and I join her in this) how can you tell while actively judging. We have to freeze frame video to determine how open she gets after each meet. I can never tell watching real time. Is it just a matter of it looks pretty close so they get full credit or can you really tell?

Here, in the uk, it pretty much has to mathematical 180.

So your dd's leap would get 0.1-0.3 deduction. I think it would get credit though- i have seen comps where they dont even give the jump if it's not close to 180.

It is easy to see, but generally most will work to a slight oversplit to get total credit.

You can tell, even at top speed while judging a routine. Your DD's leap is not quite 180, but very close.

She'd get credit for the split jump requirement (only has t0 be 135 degrees in USAG) and a small deduction for not quite being 180. She's really close! Probably a 0.05.

If you can't tell it is 180 on first run in a video the judges can't either and won't give credit for it. Unfortunately they don't have the benefit of instant replay. Dd got dinged on her bar routine b/c she didn't make close enough to handstand on a couple differ skills, which is unusual for her. Video stills clearly show she should not have gotten deducted but in the video it is very hard to tell. Solution? Don't make the judges have to guess. Get to vertical, it 180, in the case of a split.

Not quite 180, but very close. Split requirement in optional levels is 180, 1-20 degrees missing receives full value of the skill, meets requirement, and is .05-.1, I would probably take .05 for that jump for angle requirement, no idea what other deductions could be there from a still picture- but probably also a small deduction for the back leg being lower.

a small deduction for the back leg being lower.
Ok the thread in general fascinates me.

And the above even more.

You would take a deduction for not being 180, got it.

And now for the puzzler.....

An additional deduction for one leg being lower. o_O

One leg lower then the other is the reason it's not 180. Isn't that like double jeopardy. Taking off for the same error twice. o_Oo_O

It is an uneven split deduction, a kid who goes well past 180 can also get it, for example front leg at nose height, back leg extended parallel to the floor.
Ok thanks for explaining.

I still think its goofy, any uneven split is not 180.

Now not vertical would make more sense. JMO (not that that means a freaking thing :confused:)

Ok thanks for explaining.

I still think its goofy, any uneven split is not 180.

Now not vertical would make more sense. JMO (not that that means a freaking thing :confused:)
You can have a 180 split where the legs are uneven. I currently have a girl who hits a full split in her leap but the front leg is down and the back leg is way up- sort of like a sissone position in the middle of the split leap. So even though she hits 180 and doesn't get a deduction there, the split leap is definitely not technically correct should be deducted.

You can have a 180 split where the legs are uneven. I currently have a girl who hits a full split in her leap but the front leg is down and the back leg is way up- sort of like a sissone position in the middle of the split leap. So even though she hits 180 and doesn't get a deduction there, the split leap is definitely not technically correct should be deducted.
My daughter tends to do that on beam :(

This is from a level 6 meet, but as of this week, she is now training level 7. (Level 6 state was last weekend in Texas.)

Do the deductions vary by level?

image.jpeg
Here is a good example of a split that meets the minimum 180 requirement, but is uneven.

Examples of even not 180 leap - I would not deduct these for being uneven
One
Two
Link Removed - lines on the wall a really helpful to see posture and angles
Four

Not sure about JO but with FIG rules many of these kids could loose a small body posture deduction as they are leaning forward. This posture is probably making it hard for some to hit full split.

Generally the uneven deduction goes to what we call donkey leaps, where the front leg is coming down while the back leg is going up.

Very informative, thx for posting. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back