Parents Question about height

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

DD is 7 1/2 and 45", 44lbs. Our pediatrician has never shown concern. Does anyone know what the average height of an 8 year old is?

growth-2-20-girls.png

50th centile is 126.5cm/50inches, so half the population will be less than this, half more

My 8 year old daughter dropped off her growth/weight curve about a year and a half ago. She was always somewhat small, but she dropped from the 30th percentile to lower than the 10th percentile. The first pediatrician in the practice wanted to do a weight/growth check in 6 months. We ended up seeing another pediatrician in the practice b/c my daughter was experiencing reflux and stomach pain. The second pediatrician ordered blood work and a celiac panel to see if anything was going awry. She didn't see any point in waiting the 6 months. It turns out that my daughter has celiac disease. Now that she has been on a gluten free diet for the past year or so, her growth has normalized and she is back on her regular curve. I would definitely take it seriously if there is a drop in percentiles. As much as a gluten free diet is a bit of a nuisance, there can be serious long term consequences if celiac disease is not caught early on (i.e. a higher incidence of type I diabetes, thyroid issues, intestinal lymphoma, malnutrition, bone density issues, and other autoimmune issues).

I hope that it is a non-issue for your daughter, but just wanted to let you know that a drop in percentiles can definitely be a clue that there is something wrong within the body. Good luck!

How often were your DD's stomach pains happening? Recently DD has been complaining and there's no explanation for the issues. So far it's sporadic, but being as they are unexplained and then a few hours later she seems fine has me mildly worried. Just wondering if your DD had any other symptoms.

50th centile is 126.5cm/50inches, so half the population will be less than this, half more

When looking at a growth chart its not about what percentile a child is but are they following their own growth curve. So a child in the 10th percentile if they keep tracking 10th is not an issue.

A child who goes say from 75th percentile to 10th percentile, needs a look. And that might be fine too, but it needs a look.

My daughter had a dip. We didn't have a huge issue about it. Her time in the gym went up, perhaps she needed more calories. Maybe her growth pattern just changed. Just noted, made some slight adjustments. Dipped back up.

Its information. I don't believe anyone said to get crazy about. I think even the OP's doc wasn't crazy about, just wanted to do an extra check. Don't consider that crazy. Height and weight measurements are not even invasive tests.

ouchie 11 pound newborn?? Mine were all big too, but 9.5 was the largest. My kids were all giant until about 2 years old. I mean giant as in roly poly babies who didn't start to walk until 15-18 months because they were huge! The doctor lectured us about oldest ds because he was 31 pounds at 18 months. She told us he was obese, shamed us over and over and told us that we really needed to watch what we were feeding him. She was very rude about it. Well, in the next year and a half, he grew five inches and didn't gain a pound. Now, at 13, he gets lectured for being too small. We just can't win. He did have a hand x-ray which determined his bone age was two years behind his chronological age. The doctor still lectures us if he comes in a and hasn't grown much. He is not even close to starting puberty so I'm thinking/hoping late bloomer as his size bothers him.

My dd and little ds were larger babies and then now they are leveling off. My dd is 11 and is the same height as her older brother, but some of the girls in her class are really tall and developed. While she is solid, she has just started developing. She used to tower over all of the other kids. My dh and I are averaged sized people so none of them will win any height contests.

Reactions: sce
How often were your DD's stomach pains happening? Recently DD has been complaining and there's no explanation for the issues. So far it's sporadic, but being as they are unexplained and then a few hours later she seems fine has me mildly worried. Just wondering if your DD had any other symptoms.

The stomach pains were initially sporadic. Honestly, at first we assumed that it was simply constipation. However, it progressed to almost every day before she stopped eating gluten. It would typically start shortly after she ate, within half an hour or so, (especially after breakfast, most likely b/c it was heavy on gluten) and then would subside within an hour or two. Her pain was always around her belly button area. She was not quite 7 when she was diagnosed. So, she wasn't fantastic at describing the pain, but she always gestured to the same area surrounding her belly button.

She did have other symptoms, now that we look back. She was perpetually hungry. She would literally ask for food every hour or so throughout the day. She always favored protein (steak, chicken, cheese, etc), which is interesting b/c it is almost as if she unconsciously knew what would work best for her body. She was always a petite, thin, and muscular kid. She ate healthy and well, so we really were not concerned about the fact that she was thin, ripped, and low on the percentiles for height and weight. My mother in law is short and we just figured that she got her genes, and was blessed with a high metabolism and athletic build. But, she ultimately dropped off her curve, even while she was eating like that. She always had constipation issues, from a very young age. But, my older daughter always had constipation issues too, so we really were not all that concerned about it. She developed reflux shortly before her diagnosis, which is now gone unless she eats a very spicy meal. Believe it or not, she was also more sensitive/irritable and more prone to crying (if, for example, she got in an argument with her sister). I would never have mentioned that to a doctor. I assumed it was simply her temperament. However, the "touchiness" has gone away since she changed her diet. One other thing I noticed was that if we were out anywhere ( i.e. at a store, restaurant or an event) she would always need to go to the bathroom at least once, if not more, while we were there. She often didn't actually do anything once she was in the bathroom, but she always felt like she needed to go. That has stopped completely since her diet changed.

It is amazing the change with simply an adjustment to her diet. She is now growing and gaining weight. Her GI doc is thrilled with her progress and she has adjusted well to the gluten free diet.

ouchie 11 pound newborn??
11 13 and 3/4, so closer to 12lb, there were a set of twins in there lighter than him. They were all big, 9lb 5 was the first and Pink was 9lb 10, but they weren't fat, Little lad was walking at just under 10 months ! I have never had a "little" baby

Reactions: sce
Mine was so dinky the newborn size clothes looked ridiculous, and we had to buy 'tiny baby' size instead. We still have the reindeer outfit we bought for him for his first Christmas, just after he was born, and it is minute. Somewhere I have a pic of him as a very tiny, very grumpy reindeer. Don't know what we were thinking- I blame the sleep deprivation.

If it makes you feel any better, I didn't grow AT ALL from 5th grade - 7th grade... FINALLY, in spring of 8th grade, I grew 1/4 inch. Since then, I have grown another 6 inches since then... but it took me 9 years to get there :). Do as the doctor says with the recheck, but don't sweat it at all. My height percentiles ranged from 34th in 5th grade down to the 9th in 6th grade... 3rd in 7th-9th grade. By high school graduation, I was back up to the 19th percentile... and the 27th percentile by the age of 20.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm hoping that's what will happen to my dd.

DD is 7 1/2 and 45", 44lbs. Our pediatrician has never shown concern. Does anyone know what the average height of an 8 year old is?

I don't think the concern is over being short, lower end of percentile, if I understood correctly, it was the slowing of her growing. Meaning, "typically" a child who is on a percentile stays on that same percentile, except during growth spurts. So, to drop percentiles thye keep an eye for decrease in growth.

FYI: when my daughter was 7 1/2, she was 47", 47 lbs. Dr. declared her very proportionate :)

We've had (sort of) the opposite problem at one point. Around here at least, pediatricians are calculating BMI for kids once they hit age 5. DD was near the very top of normal, so the pediatrician started talking about watching what she eats (she eats salads and fish regularly!). Once she started the exam and saw her abs and arms, she changed her tune. About a month after that, Dd hit a big growth spurt and her BMI went down to below average, so it just goes to show you how much can change based on growth spurt timing.

About a month after that, Dd hit a big growth spurt and her BMI went down to below average, so it just goes to show you how much can change based on growth spurt timing.
That's why they tend to recheck, to account for the growing out then up of growth spurts

We've had (sort of) the opposite problem at one point. Around here at least, pediatricians are calculating BMI for kids once they hit age 5. DD was near the very top of normal, so the pediatrician started talking about watching what she eats (she eats salads and fish regularly!). Once she started the exam and saw her abs and arms, she changed her tune. About a month after that, Dd hit a big growth spurt and her BMI went down to below average, so it just goes to show you how much can change based on growth spurt timing.

At DD's well child visit, the nurse gave us "the talk" and mentioned that her BMI was on the higher side. I was pretty irritated because I felt that they were making assumptions based on numbers without knowing the child. When the Dr came in the room, it all changed and he was very supportive of her Gymnastics and told her how strong she was and how amazing it is...

At DD's well child visit, the nurse gave us "the talk" and mentioned that her BMI was on the higher side. I was pretty irritated because I felt that they were making assumptions based on numbers without knowing the child. When the Dr came in the room, it all changed and he was very supportive of her Gymnastics and told her how strong she was and how amazing it is...

I know that as a nation, we have a lot of children who are heavier than they should be, and do certainly need to be watched. And I guess enough parents who do need to be spoken to that way, but come on, they need to use more common sense and not just "numbers"...
So glad the dr "got it" :)

I know that as a nation, we have a lot of children who are heavier than they should be, and do certainly need to be watched. And I guess enough parents who do need to be spoken to that way, but come on, they need to use more common sense and not just "numbers"...
So glad the dr "got it" :)
And I would of had that conversation with the nurse, politely of course. :)

I think it's wise to keep an eye on things, but I really wouldn't be too concerned. DS (not a gymnast) has always been very small. He was below 10% for height and weight since birth (at full term) -- often below 5%. We took him to an endocrinologist when he was 11 years. They did a hand x-ray and told us he would never be over 5'1 and that we should consider a variety of aggressive treatments. Five years later, he is 5'7 (still as skinny as a rail), so they were totally off base on the height. I am sure there is a lot of science behind the advice, but there are way too many variables. Just keep a watchful eye and know that most likely everything is fine.

The stomach pains were initially sporadic. Honestly, at first we assumed that it was simply constipation. However, it progressed to almost every day before she stopped eating gluten. It would typically start shortly after she ate, within half an hour or so, (especially after breakfast, most likely b/c it was heavy on gluten) and then would subside within an hour or two. Her pain was always around her belly button area. She was not quite 7 when she was diagnosed. So, she wasn't fantastic at describing the pain, but she always gestured to the same area surrounding her belly button.

She did have other symptoms, now that we look back. She was perpetually hungry. She would literally ask for food every hour or so throughout the day. She always favored protein (steak, chicken, cheese, etc), which is interesting b/c it is almost as if she unconsciously knew what would work best for her body. She was always a petite, thin, and muscular kid. She ate healthy and well, so we really were not concerned about the fact that she was thin, ripped, and low on the percentiles for height and weight. My mother in law is short and we just figured that she got her genes, and was blessed with a high metabolism and athletic build. But, she ultimately dropped off her curve, even while she was eating like that. She always had constipation issues, from a very young age. But, my older daughter always had constipation issues too, so we really were not all that concerned about it. She developed reflux shortly before her diagnosis, which is now gone unless she eats a very spicy meal. Believe it or not, she was also more sensitive/irritable and more prone to crying (if, for example, she got in an argument with her sister). I would never have mentioned that to a doctor. I assumed it was simply her temperament. However, the "touchiness" has gone away since she changed her diet. One other thing I noticed was that if we were out anywhere ( i.e. at a store, restaurant or an event) she would always need to go to the bathroom at least once, if not more, while we were there. She often didn't actually do anything once she was in the bathroom, but she always felt like she needed to go. That has stopped completely since her diet changed.

It is amazing the change with simply an adjustment to her diet. She is now growing and gaining weight. Her GI doc is thrilled with her progress and she has adjusted well to the gluten free diet.

Thank you. Some of this describes my DD, so I'm definitely going to be on watch. She's sort of always complained about her stomach, but having a sensitive stomach myself, I have always just figured she inherited that from me. But I'm going to be more cognizant of when she expresses tummy troubles. I also told my other half that if another big incident occurs again (we had two in a week where she was unable to go to gym or participate in things at home because of feeling ill then fine a few hours later) then we're taking her in.

My DD is 8, almost 9 next month (omg where did the time go?) and shes around 48 or so inches. Never had a complaint from the Dr.'s as shes healthy and normal weight. Personally I think shes a bit tall and lanky with some musculature, but also I'm a mere 5'4" and she comes up to my chest lol...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back