WAG Question-young gymnasts

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Guenhwyvar132

Proud Parent
So, this is my first question on chalk bucket. I am wondering what gym you would recommend for a 4.5 year old given this information (we are currently at gym A)

Gym A: Five minutes from home, currently on pre team which is twice a week, coach seems to repeat the same skills for same day of week each week with not much change, a bit more lax when it comes to technique (ie the coach will say to fix some things but won't necessarily show or have them repeat it until they do it correctly), minimal bridge work (they do two short back bends during stretches, but the majority of back bends are done on hexagon type mats), do some conditioning (pull ups, leg raise type things on bars), play fun music during class and usually get to play in the pit for 5 min at the end of class, have about 13-18 girls in compulsaries, and 4-7 girls in optionals (highest is probably a level 8)

Gym B: (this is what I've heard) about 25 min away, much more hands on they literally touch the girls to show them where they need to be physically, an example I was given was on beam they touched their rib cage and lifted up to show them how tall to walk, more coaches per amount of girls in the class up from the one my daughter is in (her class is small), possibly bridge work earlier many girls were doing back handsprings by the age of 5, have the only elite gymnasts in the entire state, obviously have more team gymnasts as well

Costs for both gyms are fairly similar, both have positive reviews, I guess my main question is would it be better to have her be pushed more with learning better technique from a young age or is it better to take a more slow and steady pace for learning skills and technique? Thanks!!

On a side note two of the girls around her age just switched to this gym so I am wondering if it is really better or does the grass look greener on the other side?

Because of all the prior discussion on CB about the physical dangers of backbends and bridges for girls under 5 I would have some pause about gym B.

She's 4.5. It's meant to be fun at this age. There is no advantage to having BHS and advanced skills at this age. Research shows a kid will be at exactly the same level at 9, whether they started at 4 or 7.

If she's happy, the gym is convenient and the coaching is safe, I much prefer the sound of gym A. Emphasis on Fun, no bridging to stress developing spines. In a year she'll still be there having fun, if she's pushed to soon in a year she may have quit because it's hard work.

One think I'd look at with gym B is how many of their elites are "home grown", as in been in that gym from the start, and how many have moved at an older age having grown out of another gym. If they haven't developed most of their elites from the start, it's likely they're burning out their youngsters.

I'd think again when she's 6.

I would move her to gym B before you become to close to all the coaches at the gym.

I guess, for me, the "hands-on" coaching is the thing that stands out. Telling a 5-year-old to point their toes or make their bodies a certain shape isn't nearly as effective as actually showing her what it feels like when her body is in that shape. And changing gyms is hard. I guess, even with a promising 5-year-old I might be thinking about what gym would suit her needs long-term.

One think I'd look at with gym B is how many of their elites are "home grown", as in been in that gym from the start, and how many have moved at an older age having grown out of another gym. If they haven't developed most of their elites from the start, it's likely they're burning out their youngsters.

I'd think again when she's 6.

Good point though.

Thanks all! You're making me feel better about my decision to stay put. My thoughts were that I don't want her to get burned out. I'm not planning on her being an elite/college gymnast unless that becomes one of her goals as she gets older which means we'd need to reevaluate in two to three years where she is at. Her gym definitely isn't a bad gym of those level 3 gymnasts two of them are 6 and one is 7 so I know they are able to get them to there at least. The current gym also has a lot of rec classes partially I think due to how much parents are willing to pay for gym here. Probably has to do with the large family sizes.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back