Quitting the Sport- how to tell friend

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

L

lilgymnast7

I haven't been on this site in forever, but I knew the time would come when I would have to ask this question. I have been doing gymnastics for quite some time, and so has my best friend. She joined my gymnastics class three years ago when she stepped down from a higher position on the team. I really want to quit the sport now because I am just not enjoying it anymore. I had loved the sport for a while, but lately I have been going just because my best friend has been going. We carpool and for some reason if one of us doesn't go, then the other will also miss for that week. The sport is something we do together. I don't know how to approach her and tell her I want to quit. She doesn't know that I want to quit, so it will probably surprise her. The situation is weird because her mom is also very involved with us doing gymnastics even though it is just for fun, so I wouldn't want her to also get upset with me for quitting as she is that type. Its a very tough and complicated situation to explain, but any advice in general on how to tell my best friend I want to quit would greatly be appreciated.

(on a side note, I hope I am posting this in the right spot because I haven't been on in ages!)

You can explain to her that quitting has nothing to do with your relationship and that you still want to be good friends with her; hopefully then she will feel less attacked personally. You will still get to see each other all the time...but you just don't like the sport anymore.

I agree let her know you are still friends and that won't change but you lost your passion for the sport. You never know she might be feeling the same way and wanted to quit but is doing it for you too. Let her know you will be there to cheer her on if she continues at meets etc.

Its OK to have different interests and not do things with your friend. Give your self permission to be ok with this decision. I would talk to your mom first and maybe you and your mom and your friend and her mom could do a lunch or something together to break the news. That way you won't have to be alone for the response and maybe you can find something else you both like to do.

My DD picks things she likes to do and doesn't let a friendship rule if she does it or not. Her friends understand just like my DD understands when they do other things.

Good luck.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back